The Party

My heart to heart with Harry had left me feeling both excited and terribly nervous at the prospect of seeing him at Nola's belated birthday party. I wondered if our admissions to one another would change the way he behaved towards me. The prospect made my spine tingle. 

Elenore had, for once, gotten up and completed her makeup on time, meaning that we had gotten on the road exactly when we were supposed to. Nola had been in the good mood from the moment she'd opened her eyes and had even let me wash her hair without the bandana on. I had a feeling that today was going to be a good day. Harry had text me before I'd fallen asleep to let me know that their last concert in London had been the best one so far and that he couldn't wait for the following the day. Louis had the boys under a strict schedule that they would be up early in order to get the party preparations under way. He wanted this to be perfect as much as Harry did. 

It was amazing how quickly we'd fallen into their lives as well as just Harry's. They'd had no reservations when it came to accepting that Nola was going to be part of their One Direction experience from now on. I couldn't have been more thankful. I had been so anxious about Harry's reaction to having a daughter that I'd never really stopped and considered how Nola's appearance in Harry's life was going to affect the rest of them. She'd already become a permanent fixture and yet none of them seemed to mind. If anything, they loved it. 

"Today is phase two of of the Niall project."Elenore told me confidently from the passenger seat. "My makeup game is strong so I can gurantee that we'll have a date by the end of the day."

"Well I don't want you to be all upset if that doesn't go according to plan." I frowned.

"Of course it's going to go according to plan." She rolled her eyes and reclined back in her seat. "You just wait and see." I hoped the day was going to go as well for Elenore as I felt it would for me. 

It wasn't long before we were pulling up outside of Harry's house. There was no evidence of a child's party on the exterior, but I guessed that was in case the paparrazzi had caught on. Elenore, who was noticeably less excitable this time, removed herself calmly from the car and took Nola's bag for me while I unclipped her from her car seat. As she left the vehicle, Nola's eyes twinkled in recognition of the house we'd arrived at. It was clear as day that she was completely aware of the fact that in a matter of moments her father would be greeting us at the door and whirling her around in his arms. The thought made me smile too. 

"Are you ready for your party?" I asked her, planting a kiss on one of her rosy cheeks. 

"Dada house!" She beamed at me and I nodded eagerly.

"Clever girl, Nola." I shut the car door and locked it with my free hand before following Elenore up the path and to the front door.

My heart thumped in my chest and I fought the smile tugging at my lips. I would see Harry any second now. Our bond was stronger than it had been last time and I was surprisingly eager to find out how this would have altered our relationship. The door opened before we reached it, but instead of an excitable curly haired Harry, the pained expressions of Liam and Louis' faces met my eyes. Only they couldn't look at me. I opened my mouth to speak, but Niall shot forward and stole Nola from my grasp, disappearing into the house with her before I had a chance to protest. I threw a frantic glance at Elenore who shrugged and turned to frown at the two uncomfortable looking boys in front of us.

"What's going on?" She asked." Why do you two look as if someone has died?"

"Where's Harry?" I added. My heart dropped to my stomach as Louis finally looked up. Anger flashed in his eyes.

"He's not here, Marnie." There was something bitter in the tone of his voice. I looked at Elenore again.

"What do you mean he's not here?" My voice shook as I spoke and I found myself looking around as if Harry was about to pop up from somewhere. Louis looked at Liam who sighed deepily.