Chapter 1

I sit in my room just staring up at the ceiling, breathing in the polluted air. I'm laying tiredly on the bed, wondering what to do in my life right now.

Netball was a bore, just playing a match against the Florida Tigers. My team always loses, it's just the way it is. No matter how hard my coach tries, he cannot make us better.

We try so hard to win, so hard to not lose the things most important to us that we lose ourselves. Winning was never the most important thing in our life. Sometimes, you just a have to have faith while leaning over the edge, and jump.

As I keep staring up at nothing my eyes close, letting the darkness swallow me. I have never been afraid of dreaming, to me it somehow bring peace. It bring a distraction from the real world, a distraction in which the ideas are limitless, and the time is numberless. In my dreams I can picture what ever I wanted. But I didn't really expect the dream that flows in my mind.

I was running fast in the woodland east way up in Florida, and something was trailing me behind. I could hear their quick footsteps, and them breathing. I dare myself to run faster, because if I didn't I didn't really know if I'd survive. My ancestors in my tribe where hunters, so I could run for a long time at my most top speed.

As I run for my life I hear strange animal noises and growls behind me. Why would an animal be chasing me? Last I heard I had a special relationship with dogs, so I couldn't see how a dog would want to kill me. But I still don't have the nerve to look back to find out who or what is chasing me.

I quickly dodge a boulder and circle a broken tree to a nearby stream. I am a powerful swimmer, thank god, so I don't have to worry about that part. I go to jump a rock when I slip on it and fall in.

I get up quickly and run through the water. When I reach the other side I turn around and scream. There were no people chasing after me. They were animals.

They were Wolves.

They were also probably the biggest Wolves I have ever seen. But it was strange, because they were all just black. There were no grey wolves or white wolves, or even brown wolves.

Just black wolves, and there were starting to cross the river. I crawl backwards to stop at another large rock. As the Wolf pack begins to cross the river I could feel the adrenaline tearing through me.

I could feel the tears running down my face, and suddenly I heard a beautiful and terrifying howl. Then I realise that it was directly above me. I gasp as I stood up and moved away.

At the edge of the river I melted at the sight of the beautiful white Wolf dazzling in front of me. When I stared into it's luminous green eyes eyes I smiled. But the Wolf's beautiful face turned into a snarl as it jumped down off the huge rock and can running towards me.

I screamed again as I turned around to find the other black Wolves running as well.

I wake up startled, breathing so heavily I start to sweat. What type of dream is that, I wonder. I sit up and try to level my breathing.

That dream felt so real, I really did feel like I was crying. I start to swing my legs around to stand up to go downstairs.

Maybe something to eat would calm down my nerves. The dream was abstract, but it felt as if it would happen. Or as if it did actually happen. But how could a dream become real? It was only a figment of my imagination.

When I stand up I scream as I terrifying pain shoots up my side. I collapse onto the floor in shock, I pull up my top to find three claw marks across right side.

They were gleaming.

I start crying as my mum comes dashing through the door along with my dad to surround me. I let go of my shirt and try to stop crying but I couldn't. The pain in my side was excruciating. It felt like a thousand knives digging into my side, something so horrible and painful I struggled to hold onto reality.

I hear my mum's faint stressed voice telling me to hold on. My dad was trying to calm her, to soothe her that I might be alright, but my mum shouted at him instead.

"She's my daughter! It's not my fault we should have been more careful! God damn it, get the First Aid." My mum cried.

I stare dizzily at her, trying to focus on her warm brown eyes. But my visions was breaking up in blotches of black and white. I was very close to fainting.

My dad came rushing back into my room, holding a small box containing cotton and needles. My dad tried to talk to me using an urgent and soothing voice.

"Are you hurt Ash, where is it hurting?" He asked. I painfully moved my hand to my right side.

My mum moves my hand and pulls up my top, the mark exposing in a red and bleeding matter. My mum puts her hand over her mouth. My dad's looked about as surprised as if someone had given him a puppy out of nowhere.

"No, it's not possible. I thought she lost her chance, unless-" My dad breaks off in mid sentence. I want to shout something urgent at my dad.

But my mouth stays closed. I couldn't open it at all. The pain was too much.

I feel like a dead fish, stranded on the shore. I feel so helpless, not being able to move and in pain. Everywhere is numb and the only place that makes me want to cut open my guts get be dead. I want to die right now, it would be just so much easier.

But my vision just keeps on blurring and soon enough I'm blind. The last thing I heard was my dad say something to my mum, and I black out.