Chapter 16

Everyone left, and I stood there shocked at Jake's new personality. Maybe he is bipolar, maybe he likes beating others, maybe he likes them screaming. Maybe he'd even like hurting me...

I snap out of it. Stop it, I think. He wouldn't do that, because he is my mate. Mates look out for each other right? I wish my parents were here to explain all this to me. Yes, they explained to me the story of the coloured Wolves and blah blah blah, I didn't really listen to that part because I was so pissed that they were lying to me. Now, it seems just when I found out what I am, the Black Wolves had to take them away before I could ask any questions.

Why is life so unfair? My parents could be locked up in chains, bleeding to death. Hell, they could be dead. Another corpse in another pool of wolves the Black wolves murdered. I tried to keep the tears in, I tried to keep strong. Life isn't meant to be all puppies and rainbows. Challenges are going to meet me around every dark corner, through every crack and door until they smack me in the face, and I won't know what to do.

I thought being me was a good thing, I guess being me brings trouble. Trouble to the ones I love most.

Stop it, my Wolf murmured. I sighed. She was right. I was bringing myself down, and doing that won't help save my parents. I am sixteen, going on seventeen, and I should know how to take care of myself.

Except one thing, this world has now shifted a little onto the edge. And now I am right there on that ledge, being cornered by my enemies. Sometimes I guess, to fix the wrong and make it right, you will need to jump.

But for now, I guess the edge will be safe enough for me, for now.

After everyone left, Jake and I were left alone. He had his back facing me, and I knew he could feel my eyes burning holes into the back of his skull. He sighed, and turned around to look at me. His dark brown eyes stared into my blue ones.

I scowled. "You had no right to hurt them," I say. "They did only minor things..."

"Minor things that could have gotten you hurt. Ashley, don't you realise I go to extremes like this so you don't get hurt?" He asked me, his deep voice vibrating through me.

Extremes? Extremes is putting it a little lightly. He almost killed Jennifer, for choking me. Yes, that was bad, and yes she might have deserved a punishment. But not one this extreme. And Zach, I liked him. It didn't matter that he tried to grab me, and fight me. That was horse play, he didn't actually do anything. And yet, he is now probably with a broken jaw. Why is it, that every time I meant someone, they get hurt by someone else?

"Jake, don't you realise I am capable of defending for myself, so I don't hurt?" I ask him back, temperament was in my voice, and I eyed him closely.

I am not a little girl, and he is not my guard dog or whatever. Yeah, I get it, he is the Alpha. But still, I am his mate and shouldn't he at least pay attention to my opinions?

"I know your capable of defending yourself, but not against other Werewolves. You are newly shifted, and your Wolf is immature. Yes, she can be strong and a good fighter, but she and you lack combat training."

"Well-" I try to say, but I get interrupted.

Jake shook his head. "Nope, not a chance."

"You didn't even give me a chance to say what I wanted to say!" I exclaim.

Who interrupts other people? That's right, spoiled, rich Alpha's who have no commen sense to be polite! Instead, they be complete assholes. In other words, Jacob Brighton.

He looked at me. "That's because I knew what you were going to say."

"Ugh! You never let me do anything!"