Interlude

50 more days to go... she's halfway there. 

Mia was a great help. Her friend just listened and punched in smart ass comments just at the right moments when she's feeling overwhelmed by all the reminiscing. She' s also grateful to her family; they've been treating her like their own for the past weeks.

However, she was glad to give them at least five days off without her brooding self. Demi had emailed her and told her she was needed at the main office for a few days for administrative matters. She had to comply or Demi will have her hide when she got back. This was, after all, still a business trip. 

Ateera was seated at the airport, waiting for her flight to the city, when her phone rang. It was an unknown number. Fearing it was the main office, she hurriedly answered it. 

"Moshi moshi," she answered nervously. 

"So how's Japan, moron?" 

Ateera almost dropped her phone in surprise. "Ruyu!" 

"Did you have an idea how fucking worried we were?" His voice was soft and Ateera felt shivers crawl up her spine. The quieter Ruyu got, the angrier he was. 

"I... how did you know I'm here?" 

"We got Demi drunk," he answered casually. "She doesn't remember anything, mind you." 

"Shit," Ateera whispered. She should have warned Demi that her best friends would try something like this. "Please, don't make me explain, okay? Not now. I can't. Just give me a few more weeks. I'll be back, promise." 

Ruyu was quiet for a few seconds. "Where are you right now?" 

She sighed and decided to be honest. "I'm on my flight to Tokyo for administrative issues. Demi would want reports. I'm... I'm staying with Mia's family here in Okinawa." 

"I knew it," Ruyu said. "You know, I'm insulted. It's okay for you to have Mia by your side during the time you decided to be emotionally stupid. Who are me and Gene for you again?" 

"Ruyu," she whined. "You know that's not the issue here." 

"Okay, so if I tell you I'm sitting at Narita airport right now, with a snoring Geniot beside me, waiting for you, you will just accept it and not make a fuss when you see us?" 

"Of c-wait... what?" Her eyes widened. "Are you... are you... hey..." 

Ruyu chuckled. "Yes. But don't worry, we don't have working visas like you. We'll be staying for  at least a week. We just want to see you. We miss you, you know. We never believed you were on a pilgrimage. Hear that? Never." 

A defeated smile formed on her face. "I miss you too. All right. Wait for me. I'm boarding in a few minutes." 

"Good. Ja ne." 

Ateera chuckled. "Ja." 

"Baka." 

"Oi! I know what that means, asshole. Urusai." 

Ruyu's laughter was the last she heard before the call was ended. 

Ateera leaned against the back rest of the bench and took a deep breath. She's a bit reluctant about Ruyu and Gene being here. She didn't inform those two for a reason.

Still, she can't help but feel the warmth that only her best friends can provide. She was excited nevertheless.

--- 

"What if we bump into him?" Ruyu asked as he snatched a salmon sushi from the platter. They were having dinner at the Sushi Restaurant recommended by one of the managers in the main office. "This is the type of place celebrities like him would go to."