Chapter 21

Dear Kamita, 

One of the turning points in my life had been my college graduation. 

Turning point in a paradoxical kind of way. 

1st--- It had meant freedom and incarceration. Freedom from university responsibilities and incarceration for a new set of responsibilities; bigger ones this time. 

2nd--- It had meant I could officially do what I had wanted to do and yet I did not know what I had wanted to do. I had already known my father was expecting me to join Demi in the family business, but it wasn't what I wanted. Even though I hadn't realized what I want; I was pretty clear about what I didn't want.  

3rd--- It had meant I was officially a responsible member of the community. I was an adult and was about to live a life as one. I didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. 

Still, it was something to celebrate. College graduation was not something that happens every year. Plus, the hell I had experienced in college had finally paid off-I was graduating and with honors--- I was Cum Laude. 

I was supposed to be happy, but I wasn't. Why? Because it had been weeks since we had last talked. I had thought after my initiative to call you, we were okay. But then, you had started "getting busy" and then you had just stopped contacting me for that same unknown reason you had started avoiding me. 

I had been hurt, of course, but I had kept silent about it.  

So during a genuinely wonderful day, I had put on the phoniest smile I could master--- there was still a reason to celebrate after all--- and had tried to act normal the whole day.  

Ryu and Gene of course had seen through my façade, but didn't comment, much to my relief. Words weren't needed when you have such awesome friends. 

---- 

Ateera was absentmindedly gazing at the glittering gold orb hanging down her neck, unmindful of what's happening around her. If it weren't for Gene's natural bounciness and enthusiasm, there wouldn't be a single photo of her on her graduation day. 

"Will you at least smile," Ruyu muttered through his small grin. Demi's still not getting tired of taking their photos and she doesn't seem to mind that her sister seemed out of it too. She's always been the type to ignore nonsense moods.  

Ateera sighed and nodded, forcing a smile onto her face and allowing Gene to kiss her on the cheek for a wacky pose. 

"Let's go?" Demi finally asked, earning a nod from the three friends. "My treat, of course. We'll go wherever your stomachs want us to go."  

"It's not like we're waiting for someone," Gene answered while rolling his eyes. He was still bitter about the fact that his best friends' parents didn't attend their college graduation. Ruyu's parents knew he would graduate with honors and wanted nothing but to have him in the company. For them, a college diploma was just formality. Ateera's parents were too busy. Period. Ruyu and Ateera didn't particularly care, but Gene does and he's the one most affected. 

Demi smiled and hooked an arm around Gene, pulling him with her. "Stop it with the sulking already, Eugenio. Lighten up because we have a lot to plan for our trip." 

"Trip?" Ateera asked, finally alert.  

Demi nodded as they walked down the stairs. "Yes. I am coming with you, of course. I need a break too. We're going to Hongkong." 

"Hongkong?" Ateera asked, her brows furrowed as she looked at her best friends. "I thought we're going to Japan?" She sounded a little disappointed. She has always wanted to go to Japan.