Chapter 10

Dear Kamita, 

You had always confused me. 

There were times when you're just that whiny, hormonal, annoying brat that I Skype with all of the time, who had talked a lot about his problems in his job and the girls he banged or planned to bang; but there were also times you transformed into a real mature young man, who had possessed the sweetness and gentleman ways the brat lacked.  

I will never forget my 18th birthday. 

I didn't want a huge party, but when did my socialite mother listen to me?  

So she had arranged everything-from the guest list to the programme. All I had to do was... be there, which was the last thing I wanted to do. 

At least she had listened to my choice of escort. I mean escorts. She had initially wanted Jacob Co to be my escort-- her latest candidate for my future husband, but I had declined. Other than the fact that he looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo, he spoke like Scooby Doo. 

He had sounded pleghm-y and his breath had smelled like he had eaten pesto for a week straight and had forgotten to brush his teeth. 

I had told my mother, with firm determination, that I had wanted Ruyu and Gene to be my escorts. Thank God she had listened to the combined efforts of Demi and I or I wouldn't be able to bear the event, which had lasted for four hours. 

I had hated... no... loathed... the change of gowns, the dance, the wishes from people I wasn't even close to, the fake enthusiastic greetings, and the expensive presents, which were given with the purpose of showing off than that of sincerity.  

I was so glad when it was finally finished and I had finally been allowed to retire to my hotel suite, where Gene and Ruyu's present was waiting for me. I'd trade all those other worthless gifts for a single gift from my best friends.  

It had been the finest present of all. 

---- 

"Hey, where are you two going?" Ateera asked as Ruyu and Gene waved goodbye to her from the door. They just entered the suite and her best friends are obviously leaving her. 

"We'll be back," Gene assured her. "We promised you we'll stay, didn't we? We'll just walk around or something. I ate a lot, you know," he said with that Geniot smile.  

"Enjoy your present," Ruyu added. "It's in your room." He winked. 

Fucking Ruyu fucking winked. 

"What?" Ateera was too shocked to be coherent. 

"You heard me," Ruyu said with a teasing smirk. "Bye for now. See you in an hour maybe." He closed the door behind them even before she can utter any more words.  

Ateera frowned as she looked at the closed door for a few seconds before finally deciding to proceed to her room and examine the so-called present. 

It turned out the present had been waiting for her in the past hour. 

It was Kamita, wearing the smile she thought was only for her. 

He was wearing a suit and was fully grinning at her from the laptop, which was placed on the king size bed. His hair was tied in a sloppy ponytail-Ateera's weakness. 

"Kamita?" 

He grinned. "Yes. Do I look dashing?" 

Ateera finally smiled as she approached the bed and sat down, placing the computer on her lap. "Why are you wearing a suit?" 

"Ateera-san, why else? So I can dance with the debutant of course," he replied in a tone that tells she's an idiot for even asking that. 

"You dressed up for me?"