Chapter 8

Dear Kamita, 

You had liked Ruyu and Gene the first time you saw them.  

They had liked you too. 

Gene had been obvious. He was all smiles and was calling you hottie every time he had the chance. Ruyu had been more reluctant, but the fact that he hadn't glared at you when you were introduced had meant he liked you too. 

You had realized their obvious fondness for each other-you noticed it almost immediately. They won't still admit it at the time, but they were obviously into each other-you had witnessed it.  

Yet, you didn't judge them like what I expected. You had also kept quiet about your discovery and I was grateful since Ruyu and Gene were not ready to accept the fact to themselves yet; at least verbally. I have a feeling they both knew their sexual preferences since high school. 

--- 

"My masterpiece is no more," Gene declared, eyeing the almost-empty beer tower. "I'll prepare some more. Are you two still up for it?" he pointed towards Kamita and Ateera, who were cuddled on the couch. Kamita's arm was around her and she's leaning on his side for support. 

"Please," Kamita responded with a smile, raising his shot glass.  

"Me too!" Ateera said. "Make it less sweet, Gene, please?" 

"No classes tomorrow?" 

"Nope. We don't have classes on Wednesdays." 

Gene stood up to go to the kitchen. Ruyu, who was sprawled beside him on the floor playing Uno Stacko, automatically stood up to follow Gene.  

When they were out of earshot, Kamita confronted Ateera. 

"They're gay for each other, aren't they?" 

She grinned. "Obviously, but don't tell." 

"Neither confessed yet?" 

Ateera nodded. "They've been chasing around each other since high school, but I understand why neither made a move yet." 

"Families?" 

"Yes. It's the usual problem in this society. There are restrictions because of reputations needing to be upheld. I am lucky I have a fantastic older sister who's willing to take all the responsibilities. Ruyu is the only child while Gene is the eldest. They can't just announce they're gay especially if the society expects heirs from them." 

Kamita nodded, looking thoughtful. "Society's expectations are always needed to be satisfied that's why certain sacrifices should be done." 

Ateera nodded. "You don't find their love... er... yucky or something?" 

Kamita laughed at her choice of word. "No. Unconventional, yes, but never yucky." He turned serious. "Love is love no matter who the other person is. A superficial thing such as sexual preference has no place in such a positive feeling." 

"You sound like you're in love," Ateera teased, still surprised at the way he defended same sex love. 

"I haven't been in love, Ateera-kun," he said casually. "I have always been just against gender discrimination on love. It wasn't their fault they found their soul mates inside the body of a same sex." 

"True," was all Ateera said. She doesn't need to explain her side on this. The way she supports her best friends was enough proof on where she stands. 

"By the way... will I have a chance to meet your sister?" 

"Probably," she replied. "I haven't told my parents though. They would force you to have dinner with them and then Mom would love to introduce you to her friends. I don't think you'd want that. Demi is cool though."