Chapter 15

Dear Kamita, 

Long-distance love affair.  

The distance, the love, the affair--- they all add up to one thing -- complications.  

When does it succeed? Can it even succeed? 

Demi had said it can't succeed. I think I haven't told you about it, but she had been secretly engaged to an English guy she met at her university. It was love at first sight and things had escalated from there. She had even gave him her virginity.  

Now, now, don't get me wrong. Demi and I were not prudes. We just don't believe in giving something that precious to someone not important to you. So what I meat was--- he had been someone important to her. 

Back to the matter at hand, they had barely survived two months of being away from each other. When distance had separated them, the feelings just started to fade-- they had just fallen apart.  

According to Demi the break up hadn't been easy, but it hadn't been that difficult either. She knew she has a huge responsibility back here and he has his own responsibility back there. She can't leave the Philippines; he can't leave London. She said maybe they both knew it wouldn't work out, but still they had given it a try because their feelings were too strong.  

Gene had a different view-he said it can succeed. There was always phone sex, cyber sex, and masturbation. 

I had hit him, of course. 

Then there was Ruyu. Ruyu had merely looked at me with that irritatingly stoic face. I had felt like I was being x-rayed.  

Sashimi, my darling Chowchow, didn't need to tell me anything. He was, after all, a victim of long-distance love affair. No thanks to you. 

Your new drama was about intercultural love.  

Ruyu had kept telling me I should have been casted as Athena, the American your character Hachima met in Paris. He said it was our story.  

I had flipped him off. I don't understand back then why they kept insisting I was in love with you. Plus, I was too brown, too short, and too flat-chested to be an American. 

You had been in Paris for 2 months and you had never called, save for some hastily written emails. I've never been to Paris even though I have the money.  

Because I had promised myself I will only go to the most romantic city with my true love. 

Ah. It's so cheesy I want to throw up at myself. 

Paris was beautiful, you had said. You had the chance to visit the famous landmarks since the story revolves around two tourists. You had sent me photos of the famous Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, the cafes and specialty stores at Champs-Élysées, the Louvre (I've always wanted to see it since Dan Brown's novel), the Catacombs of Paris, the Place des Vosges in the Marais district, Notre Dame... Damn. I was so green with envy.  

And then... randomly... RANDOMLY... you had finally told me about Alexandrie Moreau.  

----- 

"Was Mary Margaret's tomb really at the Louvre?" 

Kamita laughed at Ateera's question. "Are you seriously asking me that?" 

"Yes." 

"You do know the definition of fiction, don't you?" 

"Don't be a smart ass," she answered, a pout visible on her face. "You woke me up at three in the morning to laugh at me?" 

"I just came from dinner and I didn't notice the time. It's 8:30 at night here," he replied, a gentle smile on his face she knew was only for her. Kamita called it his fated smile. 

Ateera studied her friend's face. Physically, Kamita looked tired--- his eyes were swollen, probably from lack of sleep, and his cheeks sunk a bit; it was obvious he lost weight. 

But it was the eyes that gave her a clue that something happened. Kamita's usually expressive eyes were guarded. 

"Have you been eating well?" she questioned, trying to maneuver her way in to get Kamita to disclose whatever it was that's making him cautious. 

"Yes," he answered without wavering, the smile never leaving his face. Ateera knew better. "I knew you'd be angry if I haven't. So I make sure at least to eat the three staple meals of the day." 

"Good," Ateera answered, sounding satisfied. "Now spill." 

From the way Kamita stiffened, she knew she was right.  

"Anou..." he started. From the encouraging look Ateera threw him, he spilled everything. 

----- 

When you had finished telling me about her, I knew---- I knew you have finally found her.  

Alexandrie Moreau was your first love. 

I hadn't known it because of your words. I had known it because of your face.  

You had looked like she was your world. She was your air. She was your heart. She was your soul. 

And she wasn't even there. 

That was the time I had also known how it felt to have "your world stop".  

Love, 

Ateera