Chapter 1 Nothing's ever easy

Carly: "Pilot we're detecting some disturbance below us. Do you still wish to land?"

Me: "Go ahead with the landing Carly"

I was sitting in the cockpit communicating with my family through the neurolink that all pilots have. Approaching Harmony, I thought back to what I had seen on the frontier. And now I return to a place where my nightmares seem like distant fairy tales.

Carly (Vanguard): "Copy pilot, commencing decent now."

Amelia (Northstar): "Detecting an unknown energy signature, beginning scan"

"I got a bad feeling about this"

Carly (Vanguard): "Should we abort pilot?"

"Negative, keep going. Raise the shields though."

A loud bang is heard as the metallic blast shields enter their positions and lock in place.

Cassady (Ion): "Blast shields raised"

Alyxis (Tone): "Pilot, calculations show that there is no risk in continuing our approach."

Me: "Alright, carry on"

As the ship made its descent I noticed that we seemed to be increasing in speed, but our instruments said otherwise.

"Carly, transfer controls to pilot"

Carly (Vanguard): "Controls transferred to pilot"

I tried to slow our decent, but the controls wouldn't respond.

"Shit, Cassady send out a Mayday, we've lost control."

Cassady (Ion): "Radio is jammed pilot, they don't even know we exist."

The ship started to shake as our speed kept increasing. I strapped myself in the chair and kept trying to regain control.

Amelia (Northstar): "detecting a planet-sized landmass below us, impact in 2 minutes."

As the ship continued it's decent I was blinded by a bright light. When I could see again I realized I was entering the atmosphere. The ship continued to shake as we continued our descent. I saw the ship start to burn on re-entry into the atmosphere as she finally responded to my control.

"The Last Hope ain't dying today."

Cassady (Ion): "Pilot, are you alright? My sensors indicate you are experiencing a loss of vision."

"I'm fine, Amelia where are we?"

Amelia: "Unknown, all connection to Militia and IMC connections were lost. We appear to be above an Earth-class planet."

I understand the Militia radios as I have encountered their dead zones before, but to lose connection to IMC channels as well? This is not good.

"Run scans and check it through all databases for a match"

Amelia: "Data indicates this planet to be Earth, the year 2018."

Me: "Odd, the IMC had a station, though primitive by then. Carly, what are protocols for a situation like this?" Maybe they created some after Cooper's time-traveling adventure.

Carly: "There are no protocols, pilot."

Amelia: "I recommend landing before we're detected."

"Okay Find me a location."

CD: "There is a field large enough to hide the ship, and was in our path of descent. "Closest civilization is college 20 miles away pilot."

Me: "excellent. "

I began decently and transferred controls to Carly. I went down the armory and grabbed my wingman and put my helmet on. I have an SRS helmet and gear, an exact copy of the one Jack Cooper wears. I browse over my gear and I select a cloak ability and place grappling attachment on my arm. I grab a smart pistol and slide it along my waistband till it goes into place behind me. I grab a few pulse blades and slide my data knife. Finally, I chose my favorite grenade, the Gravity star.

As I do a final check of my equipment the phase ability catches my eye. I haven't really used it as I love the looks on people's faces as a Titan picks me up, and killing someone with it leaves a bloody mess. I hesitate and finally decide on grabbing it and put it in its rightful place in my suit. With that done I start to leave the armory when Cassady speaks up.

Cassady: "What are you doing, Pilot?"

Me: "I'm going to find out what exactly is going on. Keep trying to contact the Militia or find some IMC frequencies."

Cassady: "Will do Pilot."

I walked out of the armory and walked down to the hanger. I entered an infantry transport ship and headed off to "Earth's" surface.