Bracelets

Once we finish our meal, Garrett and I start walking back to the Cullen house. For some reason we aren't running at superhuman speed, we are walking at a normal pace, catching up. "So what did you do after the war was over?"

Garrett shrugs. "I stayed in the area, didn't really do a lot after the war. At least not until the next war."

"What? Have you served in almost every war the US has been a part of?"

"Almost, I didn't go to Korea or Vietnam. But World War One and Two, as long as I didn't fight on the same field as the British."

"Still holding that grudge, huh? You've gotta let that go sooner or later."

"Old habits die hard, woman." We laugh. "What about you? How have you spent all these years?"

"Well, I met Lee and Mary in the forties, so for about seventy-five years I just kind of drifted around. Spent a little time in Alaska which was nice. There's no one there and lots of bears." I laugh. "So that was fun. Then when I met Lee and Mary, they kind of adopted me. When Mary tells people about it she makes it sound like I was a reckless teenager. But then again, in some ways, I guess I was."

Garrett nods letting me continue on. I hope I'm not talking his ear off as much as I think I am. "So how do you guys play off the adopted daughter story?"

"Oh, well we move to a new town, normally saying Lee lost his job and we had to move, or something like that, and I start at the high school as a sophomore, Mary goes to being a housewife, and Lee starts working wherever he can."

"How long do you guys normally stay in one place?"

"Well, we normally stay in one place for about eight years. Just long enough for it to seem like we're staying, but not long enough for people to notice we don't age."

"So you've been going to high school since the forties?"

I nod. "I think we need to change our story, I'm getting really tired of going to classes all the time. I don't want to spend my immortal life dealing with pointless drama and the same exams over and over again."

We laugh. "Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun. What would you change your story too though?"

I shrug. "I don't know, depends on a few things."

"Like what?"

"Well, when and if I find my mate, which at this point I think he's been killed or never got turned. If I want to have my own place where ever we move, and lots of other things."

Garrett nods, soon we arrive back at the Cullen's house. We are the last ones back, as we see everyone sitting on the porch with Nessie. Soon after we get onto the porch with everyone else, Bella walks up to me, while Garrett walks over to Carlisle and Lee. "Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you discover your gift?"

"Oh, I didn't really notice it until I realize that when I was upset it would rain when I was mad it would storm. My gift is tied very closely to my emotions. Once I learned how to control it, I realized that I could make it snow, fog, rain, hail, or anything I wanted."

She nods and puts her hands in her pockets. "Would you mind teaching me a little bit? Kate is helping me too, but I figured more then one teacher, more then one perspective."

I nod. "Sure, I'd love to help you. You're a shield right?"

She chuckles, "and I have super self-control."

The two of us laugh. "Hey, that's not a bad thing."

She shrugs and looks over at Nessie who is playing with one of the wolves who hangs around the house. Bella must have noticed the uncomfortable look on my face. "I know, Jake stinks. But he is family and he's helping to protect Renesmee."

"If he's helping to protect that little miracle then he's alright with me." I look over at Belle, who is nodding and smiling. Before too long she walks back over to Edward. As I look around the group, I notice how happy everyone is. We may not be here in a few weeks, why not enjoy it while we are here. When I look over my shoulder to Carlisle, Lee, and Garrett they all have their arms crossed. They look like they are having a serious conversation, so I decide to leave them alone.

When I turn back I am met with Nessie calling out to me. "Kat!" She runs up to me, her growth has started to slow at this point or at least according to Carlisle and the Cullen Coven. She looks like she's about seven now.

When she gets up to me I kneel down. "What's up, Nessie?"

She takes my hand and has me put my arm out. When I do she puts a braided bracelet on my wrist. I look down at the bracelet and then back up at her. "I made one for everyone. But you and Garrett weren't here when I gave them to everyone else."

As I glance up I see that everyone has a similar bracelet on. "Well, thank you very much. And I'm sorry Garrett and I weren't here when you gave them to everyone."

"It's okay. You guys are here now."

I smile as I hear the sound of boots walk up behind me. "Hey, what are we talking about over here? I thought I heard my name."

When I look up over my shoulder I see Garrett. I smile up at him. "Nessie has a surprise for you."

"Oh really? What is it?" Garrett kneels down next to me. Nessie does to him what she did to me, getting him to put his arm out, then putting the bracelet on his wrist. Garrett looks at the bracelet with a smile, then looks back at Nessie. "Thank you very much."

"Now everyone has one, to remember everyone being here together."

"Welcome to the cool club." Nessie and I laugh before she turns and walks back over to Jacob, as Garrett and I stand back up.

"She really is a cutie isn't she."

"Yeah, she is." I smile and look around the wood line, leaning forward on the railing of the porch.

"You okay?" Garrett stands next to me, leaning as well.

"Huh? Yeah, just thinking about what my life would have been like had I not become a vampire."

"Yeah, I think about that a lot too."

I laugh softly. "Yeah but then you wouldn't have been able to kill all those redcoats."

Garrett laughs. "You're damn right!"

I smile softly, kind of zoning out in thought. Imagining the faces of the children I would never have. A few moments later when I come to, I glance over and see Garrett looking at me. It looks like he's been admiring my face since I started zoning out. If I could I would be blushing after I notice him, he does as well when I look over at him. "Uh..."

"I'm sorry, you just look very, uh... pretty when you're deep in thought."

"Oh... Thank you." I look down at the bracelet Nessie had made us. Thinking about the gifts I would have gotten from the children I could have had. As I start zoning out again, Garrett starts to talk, keeping my attention in the present.

"It's weird to think I could have been given stuff like this from my own kids, had I lived long enough to have any."

I look over at him a little surprised. "I was just thinking the same thing."