His Testament

It had been a few days since Garrett and I had spent the night in the woods together and shared a few passionate kisses on Carlisle's couch. It's the first time in days I had been by myself and I had decided to stay at the Carlisle house while the Cullens, Denalis, and my family had gone out hunting. The other vampires here had left to hunt out of the area since they had promised Carlisle they wouldn't hunt in the area. I'm unsure as to why, but over the past few days, I haven't been thirsty at all. I think I'm just nervous about the Volturi coming and what will happen. I know I wouldn't be able to bear it if I lost any of my new friends, my family or Garrett...

The snow had started to stick, which is when Alice had said the Volturi would come for us. Sadly, she and Jasper had left, shortly after my family and I had arrived at the Cullens' home. Mentally all of us here are exhausted, you can tell just by looking at all of us. We seem rather sluggish compared to how we normally are. Except for Vlad and Stefan, who are all too excited to fight the Volturi. I have been resting on the porch of the Cullen house, while everyone is gone. I find it so comfortable out here in the woods, but then again I'm used to living in the mountains.

Once it starts to snow again, I decide to head inside, wondering my way to the Cullen's piano. I haven't played in years, but then again, I haven't had a reason to. When I learned how to play, I was so passionate about learning it and so excited to begin my immortal life, something that I finally had it all to myself, but when I realized it was pointless to live this life alone, I stopped playing. I reach down to the keys and play an E chord, humming along with it. I play a D as I sit in front of the piano, I play a few scales. Thinking about this situation I begin to think of a few modern songs that seem to fit this situation perfectly. I begin to play the first few bars of "Listen to Your Heart," by DHT. humming softly, warming up my voice, before I play on after the first few bars.

"You've built a love,
but that love falls apart.
A little piece of heart falls to dark...
Listen to your heart."

I begin singing since there isn't anyone in the house I let my passion for playing and singing come back. When I play the last chord I hear the floorboards behind me creek, as if someone is stepping toward me. As I turn I see Garrett standing there with an astonished look on his face. I look down, embarrassed. "I thought you were all out hunting."

He nods and takes another step toward me. "That was spectacular, Katherine I didn't know you could play."

I nod. "I learned a few years after we met."

He nods and kneels next to me, placing his hand on my knee. "Is there a reason that song came to mind?"

I shrug. "Quite a few actually."

I chuckle softly and place my hand on his. When he stands I do as well, as we do he pulls me into his arms, hugging me tightly. Wrapping his arms around my waist, as he does I place my hands on his shoulders, and the two of us begin to dance in the small area of the living room. There isn't any music, we aren't dressed to the nines, but I don't care. This is the most magical moment of my life. Garrett spins me around and dips me, when he pulls me back up he kisses me softly, pulling me into him again.

I love being here with him, even though we could be gone soon, I don't care. I want to stay right here, in this moment, forever. Garrett places his forehead against mine, taking a deep breath, as he does I chuckle softly.

"What?"

"I just realized, when we are around each other, we both have a habit of taking deep breaths to calm ourselves down, even though we don't need to."

He chuckles and shrugs. "That's true."

The two of us laugh softly, still standing with our foreheads together, gazing into each other's eyes. "We should really stop before the others get back."

He nods, moving in closer to me, kissing me again. Shortly after he does we hear the voice of Vladimir, from the corner of the room. "Well, isn't this nice." Once he begins to speaks I turn my head to see him and Garrett pulls me close to him, straightening up. Vladimir chuckles and shakes his head. "You two should be focused on the fight. Not hugging and loving each other."

Garrett shakes his head and scoffs. "I disagree, I think this is the perfect time to love each other. We may not get another chance to."

When he says this I look up at him, a little surprised. Not only is he not jumping away from me, but did he say 'love each other?' When I look back over to Vladimir, Stefan is next to him, smiling at Garrett and me. "He's right, my friend. They may not have another chance to hold a total stranger like this again. They may not get the chance to act as if we are truly capable of true love."

Vladimir laughs. "They have been dragged into the illusion Carlisle and his family give to the world.

As they say this Garrett steps slightly in front of me, still holding me tightly, only having one of his arms around me rather than both. I wrap my arm around his waist, as he addresses the two of them. His voice strand and almost angry. "Just because the two of you haven't found true love doesn't mean it doesn't exist for others. Every couple here has found the one they're going to be with forever. And Katherine is no stranger to me. While it is true we have not seen each other in a very long time, however, when I got here and saw her again, it felt like it was just yesterday that I had last seen her in the battle camp, where we met. She makes me feel like there may actually be a reason for living this immortal life." He looks down at me as he says that last part and stops in his tracks, his mouth open as if he is trying to speak, but cannot, as he shakes his head slightly.

Vladimir is chuckling, shaking his head, while Stefan is clapping. "What a truly lovely notion."