We Meet Again

Life as a vampire isn't always as glamorous as it may seem. Even more so when you've spent the last hundred and fifty seven years alone. I was born in 1842 to a lower working class family in Brooklyn, New York, and had worked since I was six years old in a textile factory, alongside many other children. It's odd to look back on that time and think about how much I wanted to have a family and children of my own. However, the chance to do that was taken away from me after i had been turned. While I am part of a family with the couple who took me in after I was turned, posing as their adopted daughter. I still feel extremely alone.

Lee, my 'father,' and Mary, my 'mother,' always tell me every vampire finds their mate, eventually. But waiting for a hundred and fifty years, is a little too long for my taste. While I do hold out hope that I will find the one I'm going to be with forever, I sometimes laugh at the idea that he never became a vampire. Something that makes me lose faith even more is the attitude of the youth in this time. It seems like the people I am forced to endure another high school life with want only the physical side of the relationship. Maybe, he is hiding from the world somewhere like I wish I could sometimes.

However, I am always willing to help someone find or keep their mate. Which is why Lee, Mary, and I jumped at the chance to help Carlisle's son, Edward, when he called on us to be witnesses. While we weren't sure what he meant by this, we still get there as soon as we can. When we arrive in the small town of Forks, Washington, we are met with the stench of wolves, which doesn't seem to fade as we arrive at the Cullen's home. As our car pulls into the driveway Carlisle and his wife, Esme, come out to greet us. Lee and Mary both jump out of the car, having known Carlisle and Esme for years.

When I get out of the car Carlisle looks between Lee and myself. "Is this the famous Katherine, I've heard so much about?"

"Yes, this is our daughter."

Carlisle smiles and extends a hand to me. "It's very nice to finally meet you, Katherine. I've heard a lot of wonderful things about you."

I smile back and shake Carlisle's hand. "It's nice to meet you too."

"This is my wife, Esme." Carlisle puts an arm out toward Esme.

She steps forward with a lovely smile on her face, "Hello, thank you so much for coming to help our family."

"Oh, of course." I nod.

Carlisle at this point has walked back over to Lee. "Well, let's go inside and meet the rest of the family." Lee nods, before he and Mary follow Carlisle and Esme inside. I stand outside for a moment and look around the wooded area. This is really amazing and beautiful, they've got the seemingly perfect place to hunt. Before too long I head inside as well, when I get inside I freeze at the site of the large crowd, whom are already there to help the Cullens. Carlisle starts to introduce us to everyone. "Everyone this is Lee, Mary, and their daughter Katherine."

As I look around and smile at the sea of faces, some who are smiling back, some who are avoiding eye contact, and others who are keeping a stone face. Before long I can't help but asking Carlisle why we are here. "Carlisle, why did you call us here?"

Carlisle looks over at a young pair of vampires. However, it's hard to tell if they are from the same coven, the very slim, brunette woman has red eyes, and the tall brunette man, whom I believe to be Edward, has golden eyes. When Carlisle nods to them they leave the room, returning shortly with a young child, maybe the age of five. Naturally when we see her, we are shocked. I mean an immortal child? Was Carlisle and his coven trying to get us all killed? I take a step back and look at Carlisle in shock.

Lee steps in front of Mary and I, giving Carlisle a disapproving look. "What is this, Carlisle? What has you're coven done?"

Before Carlisle can speak Edward, whom the young child is clinging to, speaks up, handing the child to the small brunette woman. "It's not what you think. Bella gave birth to her. She wasn't bitten, she was born."

I look at the young child in shock, before forcing my way past Lee. "Katherine, what are you doing?"

I don't stop, walking over to Edward and the woman he identified as Bella. "Are you serious?" He nods and steps to the side, opening a path for me to walk to Bella, whom is holding the child. When I walk up the her, the child doesn't seem to be shy, but she is quiet. "Hello, I'm Katherine. What's your name?"

The child smiles. "I'm Renesmee."

As she says this she places her hand on my cheek. When she does I see a vision, almost like a dream. I see the young child in a mirror, but she is much younger then she is now, and her growth. When she pulls her hand away, the vision stops, I turn to Lee and Mary with a look of shock on my face. "It's true."

Carlisle steps towards me. "So will you help us? We just need you to witness her growth."

"You can count on me." I turn back to Renesmee and smile.

Before long I can hear Lee behind me, "If Katherine is convinced, that's good enough for us."

Carlisle hugs Lee, like the old friends they are. "Thank you so much."

As I look back over the group one more time I see a man who looks all too familiar. When I look closer I realize it is a young man I had seen at one of the union camps when I was a nurse during the Civil war, shortly after becoming a vampire and long before meeting Lee and Mary. I believe the man's name was Garrett, but I didn't know for sure.

I don't have to wonder for long, because after a few minutes of me standing alone he walks over to me. "Kat? It's Garrett, from Fort Sumter."

I smile brightly. "Oh Garrett. I thought I recognized you."

"Yeah, I haven't changed a whole lot, unlike you. You seem much more put together then the young field nurse I remember."

"Well, you know, getting my powers and thirst under control helped with that."

The two of us laugh, before long Renesmee walks up to me. "What are your powers?"

She asks very excitedly. However, Lee answers before I can. "Katherine can manipulate the weather."

Renesmee looks up at me with a look of wonder in her eyes. I laugh softly as I kneel down in front of her. "Would you like to see?" She nods and when I stand she grabs my hand as we walk outside. Naturally, everyone else follows us to see my powers as well. When we get outside and into the middle of the yard, I kneel down to Renesmee again. "Does it get foggy a lot here?" She nods, I would hate to draw any attention to us by causing any majorly unusual weather. As I stand and take a deep breath. When I exhale a thick fog comes down, so thick you can barely see in front of your face.

As I hear Renesmee laughing I can hear someone else making a comment. "That's gotta help with hunting."

I laugh. "You have no idea."

As I reply to their comment the fog lifts and I look over to see proud looks on Lee and Mary's faces, who are on the porch with Carlisle, whom with his arms crossed, smiling. "That's very impressive."

I look over at Garrett who has a rather surprised look on his face. "Very."