Chapter 27

Josh's P.O.V.

Months and months of therapy I went through to remove all of the nightmares and bad memories from my mind. But none of that has prepared me for this moment.

I never imagined that I'd be in this position again. Sitting here, feeling hopeless, and fearful that my little girl, my whole world, might not make it. She has her whole life ahead of her, so many more memories to make.

Those dark red double doors swing open, causing all of us to stand to attention. "Mr. and Mrs. Graham?" The doctor asks after removing his sergical mask. "You're daughter is stable, you may come back and see her for a minute. Only a minute though, she needs to rest." My hand intertwines with Lila's, her simple touch soothes my nerves.

We begin walking towards Riley's hospital room, "Wait." Lila stops in her tracks and releases her grip from mine. She turns towards Kayden and stretches out her hand, "You come too." His wide eyes are thankful as he accepts her hand and we three continue on.

There it is, room 207. Before we move Dr Hymae pulls out a silver clipboard with a bunch of papers held in it. "I need to explain some things before you guys proceed any further." The sound of his voice causes worry to course through my body. All of us exchange glances waiting for him to continue. "It appears that Riley has suffered a few blows to the head, causing her to...."

"To what?" Kayden eagerly encourages the doctor to continue.

"Riley has slipped into a coma...I am very sorry." Lila collapses in my arms, letting out loud, uncontrollable sobs. My attempt to hold her up fails, and we both fall to the floor clutching each other. The knife that was plunged into my heart, just got twisted in even deeper.

I'm her father, I was suppose to make sure nothing bad ever happened to her. Now look where we are standing outside her hospital room, not sure if we'll ever get to see her lively green eyes open again. My back presses up against the cold white walls of the hospital, Lila lays her head in my lap. All of us are in our own state of shock, not speaking a word to each other.

"When will she wake up?" I look up at Kayden surprised at his question. He stares intently at the floor with his arms crossed, ignoring the tears that slip from his eyes.

"It's hard to say when," he replies.

Suddenly Kayden has a grip around the doctors shirt collar, "Bullshit!! You're a doctor! Now tell me!" Kayden shouts in his face, other people around us begin to take notice.

Lila quickly lifts her head up, allowing me to stand and rest my hand on Kayden's shouldee. "Son, calm down." My words seem to pull him back to reality. He lets go of the doctor and apologizes for the sudden outburst. Thankfully the doctor nods in understanding and leaves us be.

Kayden's P.O.V.

The doctor walks away a bit shaken up, I didn't mean to snap at him like that. This whole thing has been incredibly difficult to deal with. My attention turns toward the two sobbing parents who remain on the floor, "May I please see her first?" I beg my aunt and uncle. They manage a yes, giving me the go ahead.

I feel so thankful with how understanding they have been. My head faces towards the door and with one final deep breath my sweaty hand forces the it open. My heart is pounding against my chest when I step inside the dimly lit room.

I can see Riley's small body laying there with her tiny hands linked together resting on her stomach.  She wears bandages wrapped around her wrists, and a sling over her left arm. Her head is wrapped in those same bandages as well. The machines around her continue to taunt me with their annoying beeping sounds.

Moving closer I am able to see her face. She has a cut on her bottom lip towards the right more. Her forhead is colored with black and blue bruises. I wish I could kiss away every single one of her cuts and bruises. I lean down and stroke her hair away from her face, "I'm so sorry baby," I whisper in her ear. A tear slips from my eye, but I don't bother to wipe it this time.

While gently caressing the top of her head, my lips move to plant light kisses on her soft cheeks. "It's my fault that you're here right now, I never meant for any of this to happen. I-I thought by seperating myself from you, it would keep you safe."

The tremendous amount of guilt and pain I feel is almost too much to bare. To see her like this...it's  unreal. The shock of it is so intense, to think I might not ever get to see that beautiful smile of hers again. "I know I was suppose to protect you, and I'm so sorry I failed. But I will spend every second of my life trying to make it up to you, if you'll give me that chance."

I am not living unless I'm with her, she is my everything. Whenever I close my eyes...to think...to dream... to wish, all I see is her. I never knew a love like ours even existed, but I feel lucky to be given the chance to find it.

I fall to my knees by her bedside and take her small hand in mine."You're my soulmate Riley. You're  suppose to marry me, make babies with me, grow old with me." Tears stain my face and my voice begins to crack, "That's why you need to open those bright green eyes of yours."

My hand reaches up to cup the right side of her cheek. "Nobody has ever loved anyone as much as I love you, I promise." I reach up for a moment to kiss the side of her forehead.

When I kneel back down, I let my head rest on her bed as my tears fall, "Please baby, you have to come back to me okay? You need to wake up." My fists tighten around the blankets as I sob against her shoulder, "please..." I beg her.

When I lift my head up, her eyes still remain peacefully closed. Her bruised lips are slightly curved upward naturally, "please...wake up." I continue to sob.

A/N: Poor Riley :( she's been through a lot. This was a sad chapter to write ;( and I know it was short but I really wanted to get it out there for you guys! I hope you all enjoyed reading it! Remember to vote and comment if you liked it! Thanks guys! xoxo- Jade