Bandits Girl (Chapter 9)

Chapter 9

LAURA’S P.O.V.

I awoke on a soft bed, feeling rested. Sitting up, I almost doubled over in pain, my hand clenching at my stomach. I raised my shirt a little bit and looked down at the nasty bruise. Great.

God forbid Chris ever saw this; he’d kill that governor guy. But I was going to have to tell him when he arrived; I was going to need to travel in a caravan, I couldn’t ride in this condition… ride!

“Melody!” I gasped aloud, grabbing at the covers, I tried to struggle out of bed. I had left her tied to that tree! I had to go get her! She was probably starving and confused…

I hauled myself to the floor, and almost fell to my knees before a strong arm grabbed me and propped me back up.

“And where do you think you’re going?” Asked a light musical voice, and I looked up into sky blue eyes.

“Oh hey… Skye right? Um, yeah, thanks but I uh… need to go.” I mumbled trying to push past him.

It didn’t work, with one hand Skye lifted me right back up and placed me so I was sitting on the bed. He set down a tray filled with bread and cheese as well as a pitcher that he had been carrying in his other hand on the bedside table, and crossed his arms.

“I don’t think so. You’re hurt, it takes more than a day to shake that kind of kick off.” Skye responded, firmly.

I observed him for a moment, he wore a light brown belted tunic over deep brown pants, his long blonde hair flowed loosely today, and now that I focused on him, I realized that with his high cheekbones, and almost eleven like features, he was more beautiful than I gave him credit for.

“Honestly, I’m fine.”

“So that’s why you almost collapsed when you got up out of the bed?” Skye asked dryly with a raised brow, “I don’t believe it for a second.”

“I really have to go though.” I pleaded.

“Why?” He questioned, and I ran a hand through my hair.

“I… have a horse… I left her tied to a tree. I need to go get her, she’s probably starving, and lonely and I’m really worried-“

“Ok, we’ll go get her.” Skye responded, taking his long blonde hair and tying it up into a high ponytail, “Liesay and Frank have a stable here, so we can put your horse there.”

“We?” I questioned.

“We.” Skye affirmed, “I have no idea where she is, so I can’t just go get her by myself, and you’re crazy if you think I’m letting you go anywhere with that wound.” He gave a soft, gentle smile and I was shocked again by his unearthly beauty. He looked like an angel.

I let out a soft breath, feeling a brush creeping onto my face. My god, what was wrong with me?

“Alright.” I managed to get out, “Sounds fine.”

“I was hopping you might agree.” He told me, though his tone told me regardless of whether or not I accepted his proposal he would’ve gone with me anyways.

He nodded to the pitcher and the cheese, “Eat a little bit, wash up, and then let me know when you’re ready to come downstairs and I’ll offer you some help.”

I nodded mutely, and he left me to myself, giving me time to mull over my thoughts and try and form a plan.

So, Chris was going to be pissed when he got here. Like really, really, really pissed. I groaned and put my head in my hands. What was I going to do? Not only had I explicitly disobeyed his orders, I had gotten injured too.