Bandits Girl (Chapter 6)

Bandits Girl by: Faerie_Writer

Chapter 6

<Laura's POV>

I awoke in the morning to light dimly shinning through the cracks in the tent walls. I had slept soundly through the night, and as far as I could tell Chris had kept his promise and hadn't seemed to lay a single hand on me...

"Chris." I said suddenly, to see that he was missing from the spot in which he had laid last night.

Last night.

The whole memory of the Good Fire came rushing back to me, in a vibrant blur, as I remembered the riot caused by Chris' words. Everyone had been upset that of all things Chris had become engaged...

To me.

The whole thing seemed like a dream, as I rolled over onto my back and held my hand up my hand so I could admire the simple silver band that rested on my finger. It was as though it was a mark that if I hadn't belonged to Chris before, I sure did now.

I sighed and rose. I should probably go find Chris-

"OOF!" I exclaimed, as I ran into a strong, solid chest of another person. I looked up into the face of the owner of said chest and discovered none other than... Chris.

"Good morning too you too." Chris looked down and said, and I blushed fiercely.

Wait a moment, why was I blushing?

"Come with me," Chris called as he walked away slowly, casting glances at me over his shoulder with a boyish grin. "I have to show you something. A surprise." At the ending of the sentence his voice became a bit... bitter.

I blinked. A surprise? Chris didn't seem to be the type for... surprises. In fact he seemed he quite mad about the whole thing.

"Chris?" I questioned, "Are you alright?"

He looked at me, "I suppose so... I just don't like this..."

I blinked at him, "Don't like what?"

"What I'm about to do..."

"Then why are you doing it?"

"Because Marco is blackmailing me."

"Always a good reason." I stated calmly following him.

So... Chris didn't like it... always a good reason to do it then.

"So..." I asked, "where are we going?" I ran quickly to keep up with me and Chris just sighed, "To the stables."

My eyes widened. I could do simple math, stable equals horses, horses equal riding and riding equal happy Laura. I asked very slowly, "So... that means I'm going to get a horse?"

"Yes." Chris answered curtly, and I could tell he really wasn't happy. His usually cocky grin had been replaced by a unhappy frown of defeat.

"What's the matter with that?" I asked, wanting more of an answer then, 'I don't like it.'

"I don't want you to have a horse." Chris stated, and I frowned instantly.

"And why not? Are you worried I'll run away?" I demanded, hands on my hips and Chris let out a sigh.

"Well there's that too..." He let another sigh, "But it's not just that."

"What else is there then?" I asked, "Why don't you want to let me have a horse?"

Chris looked at me, frustrated, "It's not that I don't want you to have a horse, I just don't want you to have THIS horse."

I looked at him strangely, while he sighed, "Just stop asking questions and come with me."