Bandits Girl (Chapter 7)

Chapter 7

Almost a week had past before I finally got Melody to let me stay on her. 'Course she only let me remain on her back for around half-an-hour, but the more time I spent with me the longer she let me stay on. It was a trust thing I supposed, since every time I spent more time with her, the longer I was allowed to remain in the saddle and off the ground.

I spent a lot of time with Melody talking to her about anything and everything. Mainly, I talked to her about 'that idiot' and all the trouble he'd caused me.

"He meant the best," I told her one sunny afternoon, a week after I first rode her, "But because of him I can't go home." Melody snorted and I looked at her, "I'm not trying to say that I'm miserable here... but I miss my mother, surely you understand?"

Melody swung her long head up and down, as her feet dance along the floor. I'm not sure if she understood, or was just getting antsy, but I decided to take her out for a walk none-the-less.

Tugging at the reigns I led Melody down through Shanty Town. I had already used my half-an-hour today and there was no way I was getting thrown off a horse yet another time today.

Quietly, I walked through the rows of tents, until when I passed by Chris and I's tent, I saw Marco crouched outside of it, ear cocked towards the fabric. I gave him a look, and he just gestured for me to come over.

"This will show him..." Marco muttered as I crouched down next to him. "What?" I asked and Marco shushed me brining his finger to his lips. And looked at him, unsure, and he just quietly whispered, "Listen." Then gestured to the tent.

I leaned my ear towards the fabric. I heard nothing for a moment, before Chris' voice called out, "Is anyone out there Marco?"

Marco looking straight at me with a twinkle in his eyes and his fingers to his lips said, "No sir, nobody out here."

"See elder Cate," I heard Chris' voice assure, "there is no one out there, and our meetings remain in private. Please go on and say what you will."

Melody let out nicker, and I shushed her, as I leaned in, "What's going on?" I mouthed at Marco, who mouthed back, "Meeting."

I nodded to show I understood, and leaned in closer to listen again.

I heard elder Cate's wheezy voice through the thin fabric, "Really, Chris I don't know what you goes through your head anymore. Bonding with that girl... an outsider..."

"I warned you elder Cate, I warned all the elders before I spoke." Chris said with a bit of rage clear in his voice.

"But you did not warn us that it was a bonding you were talking of." Another old voice rang out, and I knew Chris' feet had turned to face him from the way the pebbles and dirt made a large scrapping sound.

"I might have if you had cared to listen of the rest of what I had to say elder Thomas." Chris snapped, and elder Cate hissed.

"Do not disrespect your elders young man." She warned.

Chris sighed, "I just do not see what will be done by worrying over something that has already been done and is irreversible."

"Maybe not." Elder Thomas croaked, "Maybe we can make an acceptation just this once... free you of this bonding and have you perform it with someone more desirable such as... Victoria."

I hissed when I heard the name, and I could hear Chris' pound his fist on the table, a dull ringing noise sounded. "No!" He shouted. "The people will not have it, and neither will I." And silently my voice cheered on Chris', I didn't like the attitude of these elders.