Welcome to the Competition[Chapter 16]

Sixteen:

Eli and Clare were already in their seats and talking. They stopped once they saw me enter the room. I looked at the ground so I wouldn't make eye contact with them. Once I took my seat the bell rang and class started. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and took it out only too quickly and dropped in on the floor next to Eli's foot.

He picked it up and held it in his hands. He stared at it then started to use it before he handed it back to me. "It's Fiona," he said. I took it quickly and wondered what he had done to my phone.

I looked down at my phone as I held it in my lap and read her text and answered her.

:Fiona: Oh miss Emi. Plans for later?

:me: Fifi! I am going to Above The Dot tonight. I'm performing. Come?

:Fiona: Performing?? Now I have to go! Can I bring Holly J and Anya?

:me: Yeah of course. Meet you there?

I heard someone clear their throat making me look up. Ms. D was standing in front on me with her arms across her chest. "Emilia-Rose would you like to read your short story aloud first?" she gave me a stern look and I put my phone back in my pocket. I took out my paper and went to the front of the class.

"Umm, well my story is about a concert I went to in the summer." I took a deep breath before beginning to read. "His name was George but everyone called him Ryan. He never wanted to be called George that was his father's name. Ever since 2005 he caught my attention. He started off playing guitar in a Las Vegas based band by the name of Panic at the Disco. He was so much grown up now. You could tell by the way he dressed and even how he grew out his hair. Panic at the Disco was no more and this was not the night of one of their concerts. Ryan and ex-bassist of Panic, Jon Walker, had formed their own band. Truthfully, I liked it better but that might be the wannabe 60's child talking. The Young Veins, in person. Ryan was now the front man but an enjoyable one. I could not take my eyes off of him. His hand strumming his gold jazz Epiphone guitar, the movement of his lips as he sang even the way he fluttered his eye lashes when hitting certain notes fascinated me. George Ryan Ross III you are my hero. After his set he walked over to the edge of the stage and grabbed on to my hand. I felt I was going to faint. My heart raced at the speed of light." I look up from my paper. I hadn't noticed till now I was shaking.

Ms. D started to clap and I looked at her. "There is a lot more. I'm sorry I stopped," I commented and she smiled.

"You describe things so well. You don't have to finish but excellent job," Ms. D sounded very pleased when she told me this. She was still smiling when she walked toward me and took my paper. I took my seat and pulled my phone back out as other students read their stories.

I looked at my inbox and saw that I had two un-read messages.

:Fiona: Okay. See you later<3

:Mystery: Can we talk about...everything?

I tried to understand the text from the person named Mystery and didn't bother to text Fiona back. I read the Mystery text over again a few times then looked to my side at Eli and he didn't look back at me but down at his lap. I followed his gaze and saw that his phone was in his lap. I looked back at my phone and remembered how he had my phone. He must have put his number in under Mystery. I took a deep breath and put my phone in my pocket and folded my hands on my desk.

I ignored the next vibration my phone made in my pocket. I knew I would be Eli. I thought that if I just ignored it he would forget about me. After feeling the next five separate vibrates of my phone I got fed up and looked at it.

:Mystery: Please Emilia.

:Mystery: What did I do wrong?

:Mystery: Just explain to me why and I will leave you alone.

:Mystery: Emilia you are being silly.

:Mystery: I'm sorry I kissed you those both times.

The last text made me squeeze my eyes shut tightly and grip my phone. I couldn't ignore him much longer. I just answered.

:me: You didn't do anything wrong, I messed up. Don't be sorry you kissed me especially since I wanted you to both times. I'm sorry I freaked out so much yesterday, I just don't want to screw up yours Clare's or Adam's lives. Everyone thinks we are dating and I feel like it's getting us both in trouble. I feel terrible. I'm sorry Eli.

I looked at him after I sent the novel of a text. He looked over at me and I frowned at him before looking at my desk. He answered me back quickly.

:Mystery: Don't be sorry. A lot has happened since you came here. Don't let what others think bother you. I don't want to lose a friend that easily. You are not screwing up our lives. You have done nothing wrong.

:Me: Eli I'm sorry I can't do this. I want to be friends I just can't. Sorry.

:Mystery: But you are my Converse.

:Me: Eli...I'm sorry...

I put my phone in my pocket and looked at him. He looked at me and I shook my head and mouthed sorry.