17 The Humans

A few weeks later they had settled in, they were starting to get a taste for Earth’s food, gravity, and mountains. Maddie was even starting to believe that the man they lived with was her father. Gavin and Jonathon had started adventuring to the nearby road every day to get glimpses of the cars that drove touching the ground of course they didn’t tell Peter that. Peter had started showing up less and less as time went by and that was just fine with the three of them

Maddie started school in a few days she found out what these Earth kids wore and found she liked some of their styles but didn’t care for the kids themselves. She was starting to figure out what hobbies she liked on the planet and found she loved rabbits.

Jonathon found it easy to fit in, picked up his same habits found an old motorcycle to work on and just messed around learning about cars.

Gavin couldn’t shake the bad feeling that was starting to form in his mind. Something wasn’t quite right, and Earth didn’t have people with powers so he couldn’t show up at the local grocery with radioactive eyes. Going out wasn’t quite an option, he explored everything on the mountain side and the surrounding areas but the question that was held up in his mind was, what did Peter really do?

Maddie woke up scared, she was starting school today and would have to blend in with Earth kids her age. Gavin rode in the car with her and Jonathon walked her to the school doors.

‘Maddie everything is going to be ok.’ She wanted to look at him but couldn’t concentrate, all she could see where the other kids passing by her staring.

‘They will think im weird’ she mumbled.

‘They are too worried about getting to class to even see you ok?’ he put his hands on her shoulders and made her tingle, ‘Maddie listen it will be ok. Call me if you need me ok?’ she nodded then the bell rang. ‘Don’t be late’ he shoved her through the door.

‘She will be fine’ Jonathon said before Gavin could ask.

‘Thanks’

'That’s what im here for’ he drove them to Peter’s house.

Wide eyed she stepped through the door and slowly kept walking. Kids rushed past her as she entered the new school and found the office.

‘Hello’ she managed to get out.

‘Hi are you Maddie?’

‘yes’

‘We’ve been expecting you.’

She smiled looking friendly she hoped, ‘here is your schedule, it will tell you everything you need to know.’ A boy her age ran in and gave the lady an envelope he looked shy like her.

‘David please take our new student to her class’ he nodded and walked out Maddie jumped to follow him. He looked very smart like he would be in advanced classes like she was. Turns out she was right, he sat next to her in most of her classes, but he never said a word at all. Maddie didn’t say anything either she just soaked up the humanity.

‘Maddie is new everyone say hi’ they did, ‘make her feel welcome, we will spend five minutes answering three questions about ourselves: our name, favorite subject, favorite hobbies. Go.'

The teacher even set the timer. ‘Time is up; now pass your papers up front.’ She began to look through them. ‘Maddie you have the best handwriting of the class.’ Maddie scooted down into her chair she didn’t want to stand out or be different, but she caught David looking at her a few times.

A week of school and homework and Maddie was used to school now, she was even able to talk to a few girls. Monday she woke up eager to get to class but David was looking at her different like he needed to talk to her.

At lunch she wrote a note to him and put it on his lunch tray. ‘what’s wrong?’ it read. Surprised she noticed he wrote back.

‘Someone is watching you.’

‘who?’

‘bad people.’ Then he walked away. Maddie called Gavin and told him and he told her he would come get her. But she wanted to talk to David more about what he knew.

 Maddie found the gym and no one was inside she walked over to the ropes and sat on the mat. Feeling totally stressed out she lay down where she sat, ‘Hi’ a small voice called down.

‘David?’ He slid down the rope and sat beside her.

‘Yes its me.’

‘Do you like hanging in the gym rafters?’

‘It’s the only place free from their ears.’

‘Who’s they?’

‘Maddie I could say the same thing about you, only I already know you aren’t from around here, or this solar system’ She glared. ‘Im on your side, they aren’t.’

‘How can I trust you?’ She started to leave.

‘I wont stop you but you will trust me.’

‘Why?’

‘Don’t get in the car today walk home.’ David climbed the rope.

‘Why?’ She called after him but he was gone.

‘Maddie what’s wrong?’

‘Gavin David knows,’ ‘I’m coming to get you.’

‘No! stay home.’ ‘Why?’

‘Gavin he told me I need to walk home and not get in our car. Go check the car!’

‘Maddie calm down ill go check it you stay at the school.’

‘Ok but what about David?’ ‘Ill worry about it after the car issue sis, ill call you back ok?’

Maddie put her music in her ears and grabbed her backpack. Walking around the corner she got pulled back against the wall. ‘Hey!’ she hit the wall hard. David stood in front of her and held his finger on her mouth. ‘Shh.’ she nodded fast.

‘What do you think your doing?’

‘Waiting,’

‘Where is Gavin?’ ‘He’s checking out his car’

‘They will think something is up you need to be seen walking away from the school.’

‘Well let’s go, but your walking with me David.’

‘Fine!’ He hit his hand against the wall.

‘You said to trust you, here’s your chance.’ Maddie grabbed his arm and started walking as if they were a typical Earth couple. ‘What do you think you’re doing’ he grimaced.

‘Well I’m not riding home because you asked to walk me home obviously.’   

Halfway home Gavin called ‘Maddie thanks for the heads up need me to come get you?’

‘No you remember I told you that cute boy asked me out big brother.’ ‘Okay?’

‘I will be home in a few and you can meet him.’ She hung up. ‘That wasn’t so hard now was it.’ She said mostly to herself.