27

MAYA POV

From: Lucas Pleassssse?!
I'm okay. We're not, but we will be... I love you.

The text from Lucas confused me. I wanted so badly to call him so that we could talk, but Dr. Koch was running me ragged. I tried to stay focused on the task at hand, but my mind kept going to that message. What did he mean we weren't okay?

I kept making mistakes after I got the message and Dr. Koch grew more and more aggravated with me but he wouldn't let me leave. He even made it a point to let Dr. Adams and Peyton leave early but he kept me here with him. It didn't bother me when Peyton left, if anything it made me feel less flustered. He didn't say much to me, but he didn't have to. I don't hate Peyton, I don't have enough energy to, but I just want to be around him, especially if it's going to put my already fragile relationship in more jeopardy. He looked at me today as if he were waiting for a thank you for his efforts to keep me out of trouble. I could have said it, but it would change nothing between us.

By the end of the eighteen hour day I was dead on my feet, which hurt more than my cramps, and the headache that I had gave both of them a run for their money. I wanted nothing more than to go back to Lucas house and lay on his chest to allow his heartbeat and his breathing to put me into a dream state, but I'm so unsure of the air between us. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard if you would stop keeping things from him? Once again it's your fault. My subconscious was doing everything in her power to set me off today. I put us in jeopardy and I keep doing it, but I don't mean to. As soon as I got back to the hotel, I sunk into the bed and fell asleep, drained physically and emotionally.

LUCAS POV

I stayed sat against the headstone of my dad for hours cleaning the leaves from around his grave, even as the day became a bit chillier. I wonder if either Gemma or my mum has been here recently. Gemma probably has. She doesn't talk about dad much, neither of us do, but I know she misses him. I reckon my mum has forgotten. She's been too wrapped up in Robin to even come pay a visit to my dad. It seems now day's she forgets everything important or she overlooks it so she's not reminded about the unpleasantries of the past. I feel myself becoming angered by my own thoughts, but before my mood takes over me my phone buzzes in my back pocket putting the feeling at bay.

From: Zay
Its half four and Fucked up Friday mate! I know you came in earlier but seeing as how that was a surprise shift, you'll still be in at five...right? You will. I don't know why I'm asking, just a reminder to be here at five...wanker!

I ran my fingers across my fathers name in the name in the head stone before I stood up to leave. I didn't realize that I had been here that long. As I made my way back to the pub I was in a lighter mood. My skepticism about Maya is still very much here, but I am willing to talk to her and actually listen. All I know is that this time she had better listen to me.

When I got to the pub it was crowded and it wasn't even dark out yet. I went behind the bar and I barely got my jacket off before I was bombarded with drink orders. The night kept up its busy pace for hours and I made a nice shit ton in tips from blokes who were too drunk to count correctly and birds who flirted. I turned around behind the bar to try and quickly count it all before I was interrupted.

"Oi!" Someone yelled out to get my attention.

"One second." People can be so fucking rude, but from working at a bar I've learned how to deal with them without letting my disorder take control of my mouth. It's one of the hardest things to do but when I manage it, I pat myself on the back....then take a few aripiprazole just to be on the safe side.

"Oi!"

"Alright! Alright sorry what can I get-" When I turned around my blood began to boil and I had to grab onto the bar to keep from jumping over it. Peyton sat in front of me with a smug look on his face and my fingertips began to ache from the death grip I had on the counter top.