Chapter Nine

"What do you mean my test?" I turn around and stare at my house as we zoom past it.

"I'm teaching you how to be nice and not so reckless," he grins at my frown. I shake my head.

"No way, I'm not doing it."

"Clover, I threw eggs at a house! That's breaking the law, I'm sure you can learn to be nice and not egg houses," he reasons with me. I frown even more.

"I can be nice," I argue with him.

"Doubt it," he raises an eyebrow at me. I glare at him.

"Is that a challenge?" I snarl at him. He's really pressing my buttons.

"Calm down, Mufasa," I glare back at his reference, "I'm not challenging you."

"If I'm Mufasa, what does that make you?" I ask, looking out the window.

"That's what you got from that? Seriously?" He's already grinning again, and so am I.

"I think you're a Zazu," I ponder out loud to myself. He gasps.

"What is that supposed to mean?" He holds a hand over his heart, fake offended.

"You're practically useless and only here for my entertainment," I shrug my shoulders and watch his jaw drop.

"Never mind, you're  totally Scar."

"In that case, you're that stupid Hyena named Ed," I laugh. He glares at me.

We pull into a partially empty parking lot, except for a white van and two other cars.

"You're going to murder me, I mean, look at that van," I gesture at it. He chuckles.

"Just follow me," he steps out of the car and I follow. We walk towards a huge building. There is a sign, but it's super faded and barely legible.

There's a cracking glass door leading into the building that Cayden carefully pushes open. I hear sounds of dogs barking.

"Cayden. Where the hell are we?" I hiss at him as he grabs my hand and pulls me into the mysterious building.

We reach the front counter, where no one is found. Cayden rings a rusty bell on the desk. It rings out and is barely heard over the sounds of dogs barking. A short old lady approaches the desk and smiles.

"Cayden!" She walks around the counter and pulls him into a tight embrace. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, Mabel," he hugs her back, tightly, but not too tight, "This is my friend, Clover."

She directs her attention away from Cayden to me. She frowns at my appearance.

"And who might you be, missy," she practically bites my head off. I don't know what I did to her, but she already hates me. Perfect.

"Clover Ackerman," I hold out my hand for her to shake. She looks at it and reverts attention back to Cayden. I drop my hand and resist glaring at her. Respect your elders, and all that jazz.

"Cayden Smith, you are such a liar," she scolds him. I raise an eyebrow.

"What did I do this time, Mabel," he smiles sweetly at her.

"You told me this Clover girl was nice. I got all dressed up to meet her, and she is clearly a bi-"

"Mabel!" Cayden stops her before she can cuss me out. I turn red- but not from embarrassment. From rage.

"Excuse me, Mabel," I start at kindly. She glares at me. "I'm not Cayden's girlfriend. And you're right, I'm not nice. I love being how I am. If you don't like it, keep it to yourself. Thanks," I turn on my heel and storm out of the crumbling building.

I can hear Cayden shouting after me but I'm already gone. I walk past his car, and in the direction I think is toward my house. I refuse to cry over something so minuscule. A nasty old lady is not important.

The sun is starting to set, and it's extremely humid outside. I keep walking in the same direction, beside the main road. Several cars honk their horns at me, as they pass. I was always told that if I have to walk beside a road, to walk against traffic. So, that's what I do. My legs start burning after about a mile or so of walking. I pull out my phone and check the time. I have several missed calls from Cayden, and a few from Rosalie. I was going to miss dinner. As if this night couldn't get any worse.

"Clover!" I hear someone shouting, as a car approaches where I am. Cayden. Of course.

"Go away, Smith," I keep walking, refusing to look at him. He stops his car and puts it in reverse. I look at him, eyes bulging. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Trying to get you back in my car," He keeps backing up.

"You idiot! You could get hit," I stop walking. He smiles.

"Guess you'll have to get in my car, or else I'll just drive backwards until you get home. Hope there's no cars," he trails off, looking in his mirror.

"You can't be serious," I start walking again. He's officially insane.

"I am. Just please get in the car, Clove. I'm sorry about Mabel," my heart speeds up as he calls me 'Clove' instead of my actual name. I look over at him.

"It's not your place to apologize, Cade. She's the one that said such mean things," I kick a rock and keep walking. I hope I'll bore him enough that he'll drive away.

"There is no way I'm leaving you," he looks in his mirror, and spots a car about a couple of miles back. "Better get in the car now."

"Damnit," I hiss as I run around to the side of his car and jump in. He smirks, and I glare at him. "I'm still mad."

"I know," he puts the car in drive again, and goes in the correct direction.

I lean against the car window and sigh. What is happening to me? Why am I letting myself get close to Cayden Smith? I twist my blond hair, and bite my lip. I can't have a crush on him. That's a no, by a million percent. I glance over at him, and fight back a smile.

We approach my house, and I can tell that he's driving much slower than usual. He doesn't want me to leave either. After another short five minutes, we're in my driveway. I turn to face him. He's already staring at me.

"Thanks, for today," he rubs the back of his neck and smiles. I place my hand on his free hand.

"You're welcome. This.. was a lot more fun than I expected," I grin and look at my feet. He lifts my chin with just an index finger.

I look up into his eyes. His eyes glance to my lips, but before we can act on it, he pulls away. I glance away quickly, hiding my disappointment. He clears his throat and awkwardly drums his fingers on the steering wheel. I take this as my cue to go. So, I wave goodbye and jump out of the car and rush inside.

-_-_-_-_- 

Author's Note:

Don't forget to favorite and comment!

ILY!!!!

~Galaxy Potato