Chapter Four

"YOU SAID HE WAS CUTE! HOW AM I NOT  SUPPOSED TO FREAK OUT?!" Rachel screeched at me over the phone as soon as I got home. Willow had already retreated into her room to draw, or something.

"I said that he was 'adorably cute'.  That doesn't mean I'm confessing my undying love for him, Rach," I sigh into the phone. She always throws anything that contains any amount of romance in it out of proportion.

"You said that he was cute when he was confident!" she protests. I had forgotten that I said that.

"That doesn't mean anything!" I open my computer and stare at the screen. I don't remember why I had opened it in the first place.

"Just admit you love him," she says. I shake my head, even if she can't see me.

"Can we drop it? I don't like him, Rach. If anything, I can't stand him. He acts like he's perfect, or something. You know I hate people like that," I close my laptop again and roll over onto my back. "Do you want to call Addy and see if she wants to get ice cream?"

"Okay fine, but this conversation is so not over," she argues, and I roll my eyes. We say our goodbyes and hang up. She calls Addy, and then texts me saying that she'll be over in ten minutes.

-_-_-_-_-

Holding our ice creams, we walk around the park. Summer weather is going to be coming to a close very soon so we try to soak up as much sunshine as possible. At our park, there's a huge marble fountain that sprays water everywhere. You pretty much can't get within ten feet of it without getting splashed. It's pretty, as long as you keep your distance.

I keep staring at the fountain as we walk. Cayden drifts into my mind again. Why can't I keep him out of my mind for more than five minutes?

"-sucks. I can't stand that class at all," Addy's ranting about school and I'm zoning out. Rachel has always been a good listener. "Don't you think so, Clover?"

"Hm what? Oh, uh, yeah. It totally sucks," I nod my head and look at my melty ice cream.

"That's funny, I thought science was your favorite?" Addy smirks at me. I drop my ice cream in a nearby trashcan.

"It is. Sorry, I'm just kind of distracted. What were you saying?" I shake my head and look at my friends.

"Cayden." Rachel says, looking forward. My cheeks heat up and I shake my head vigorously.

"N-no it's not about him. Why would you think-" my cheeks are definitely bright red now. How could she know I was thinking about him?

"No, I mean he's literally right in front of you. If you don't look up he'll-" I look at her, raise an eyebrow, and straight into a hard figure. I drop my phone and look up. And there he is; Cayden. "run right into you."

"We have to stop running into each other- literally," his smile is kind and he has a small dimple on his left cheek. I feel the urge to reach out and touch it.

"Cayden. Hey," I stutter, smiling like an idiot. What is wrong  with me? I mentally kick myself. He doesn't seem to notice as he laughs and smiles again.

"I actually was wanting to talk to you, Clover," he rubs the back of his neck and glances down.

"What is it?" My heart beat skyrockets, and it feels like it might explode out of my chest.

"Do you know anyone that could possibly, tutor me?" He doesn't look up. My heart drops. "I'm kidding. I wanted to know if you could help me find some confidence."

"What do you mean? How do you want me to help boost your confidence?" I give him a confused look. It feels like Rachel and Adelyn aren't even here with us anymore.

"Someone once told me that I was 'kind of cute' when I'm confident. I need your help with that, so what do you say?" He outstretches his hand, as if asking for a deal. I look down at it.

"But why me?"

"You pretty much ooze confidence, Clover," he smiles at me again. God, he is so smiley. "Plus, it can only be you."

"Thanks but what do you-" Rachel covers my mouth.

"She'll do it. Clover's going to help you with your confidence issue," she drops her hand eventually, while grinning widely. Rachel is clearly up to something. I nod my head. I guess I can help him.

"What's in it for me, Smith?" I cross my arms. I know how to play hard to get, and I was pretty good at it.

"Other than spending time with me? I don't know, maybe I can show you how to be a little less reckless," he suggests, shrugging. I frown.

"Reckless? Oh boy, I'll show you reckless," I grab his hand and drag him over to the fountain. Before he can react, I shove him into the fountain. He spits out the ice cold water.

"Clover! You are so going to pay for that!" He yells at me. I can barely hear him over my laughing. He then splashes the water at me, completely soaking my clothes. I shriek. "I said you were going to pay for that."

"Look at you and your new found confidence, Smith. I told you confidence looks good on you, maybe not so much sitting in a marble fountain, surrounded by rusty coins and bird poop, but keep that confidence," I turn and walk away. I want to turn back towards him, but I have to have the last word.

Addy and Rachel stare, mouths hanging open. I walk up to them, shut their jaws and drag them after me. Addy dies laughing and Rachel keeps staring at me. I feel on top of the world.

"You are actually the coolest person ever," Rachel says, shaking her head. "I seriously love you so much."

I look over at her and wink. "Love you too, babe."

"That's my best friend!" Addy shouts, throwing an arm around my shoulder. People stare at us as we walk by, shriek-laughing. We couldn't care less about what people thought about us.

-_-_-_-_-

Author's Note:

Who's your favorite character so far?

I think Cayden is probably my favorite. I have some big plans for him and Clover so stay tuned for that ;)

Don't forget to favorite and comment!

Ily!

~Galaxy Potato