Chapter 2

Sage was ushered into her room as soon as the former guardians left. There were a total of four beds draped in the softest dark blue cloth. The room was painted a dark purple with posters of the kids interests. Sage shared this room with a girl named Scarlett who loved to solve different kinds of puzzles, a boy named Simon who loved to engineer, and L, who she had no idea about. Sage plopped on her bed and stared at the plain white cieling. No one else was in the room. It was dinner time and the sounds of laughter and eating could be heard from the room.

She sighed and walked up to the window. Caressing the glass, she whispered prayers of good luck and comfort. Just as she was done, L came into the room. Jeers and laughs followed behind him. He closed the door and slid down to the floor in exhaustion. He only then just realized she was there. He glared at her, reminding Sage of the incident from earlier that day.

"Why are you here?" he asked with a tone indicating he wasn't happy. A book was hidden behind his back. Sage shrugged.

"I didn't feel hungry." Her stomach grumbled. L smirked.

"Same thing." He dug into his jean pocket and pulled out a crescent. He motioned for her to take it. Sage grabbed it quickly as if it would disappear. While she was chewing she asked, "What are you reading?"

He looked startled. "What!?"

"What are you reading?", she repeated, "There is a book behind you."

"There is no book." he glared at her again. Sage crouched in front of him and grabbed the book quicker than he could get it back. The cover read The Study and Interpretation of The Criminal Mind. "Looks hard to read. Are you going to be a detective or policeman?" L snatched the book back and then darted from the room. Sage sat down and cried for the first time she came here. Why is it so hard to make friends!? She stayed on the floor and cried herself to sleep. She didn't notice L coming over and putting a blanket on her. He then lied down next to her and slept.

The next morning Sage woke up and leapt to the window. The trees outside were different colors! She smiled happily and dressed herself in a jacket. She crossed through the lunch room and to the front door. Just as she was about to pull the handle to the crisp fall air, a hand grabbed the back of her coat and and said,

"Where are you going?" Her head turned around and she saw the glasses of Simon staring at her.

"I am going outside." she simply stated.

"It's breakfast time. You can't go out yet."

She slumped and turned back inside. She sat at the nearest table and lay her head in her arms. L was next to her reading a the book from last night. She snuck a peek at it. It had so many big words! A person in college would have difficulty reading such a book. He suddenly closed it, startling Sage.

"Eat."

She ate but very quietly and snuck quick scared glances at L, who was staring at her. She wiped the crumbs from her face and stood up from the table. She then hurried over to Simon.

"Can I go out now?"

"Fine. Just don't lose yourself out there. Actually, we'll have someone go along with you. L!"

L walked over to the table cautiously.

"Suit up. You're going to keep watch over the newbie. Make sure she doesn't get lost."

"Why do I have-"

"Silence! Do as I say! I am your superior! Go! Now!"

L glared at Simon as he walked over to the coat rack and grabbed his jacket. Sage smiled happily at the thought of going outside, but it scared her that L would also have to go. As they stepped outside hands came out of nowhere and tied cloths around both of their eyes and hands over their mouths. When they awoke, they were in a forest. Now it was really scary