Chapter 8

Sage was tossing and turning in her bed that night. She kept drifting from sleep to consciousness. Sage was confused. why did L do that? She kept blushing on and off, like a stop light. Her heart was also confused. What did she feel about this whole situation? Did she like this? Did she want this? So many questions kept popping into her mind. By morning she hadn't slept a wink and her face looked worse than the usual black circles. She rubbed her eyes and slowly dunked from the wrinkled bedding. She toppled around looking for some clothes that matched a little when L came in.

They both glanced at each other, then blushed and quickly looked away.

"Morning," L greeted.

"Yeah," she replied back.

"Merry Christmas."

Sage completely forgot it was Christmas! Good thing she already had a gift for him. Was it ok to give him a gift?

"Merry Christmas to you too." She reached under her bed and pulled out a clumsily wrapped present.

"Here, this is for you." She handed it to him and quickly teetered out of the room in her pajamas.

His face was on fire. Was it really the right thing to do last night? He unwrapped the gift carefully, and hugged the book to his chest. It was just what he wanted, almost. It was "Doctor Hemerfield's Guide to Criminology and the Process of the Criminal Mind." It was his most admired person in the entire world. He grabbed an envelope out from under his bed and sprinted to the dining room to look for Sage. He finally found her slumped over and snoozing on one of the tables. He smiled and tucked the envelope in his jean pocket. L slowly carried the sleeping girl to her bed and tucked her in gently. He then whispered to her, "Goodbye."

She stayed like that for the rest of the day, not noticing the stack of presents piling up on in front of the bed, or the envelope on the nightstand.

...

Sage woke up groggily. She felt much better than yesterday, but still tired. She leaned over and fell off the bed. Sage rubbed her head and then noticed the envelope next to her on the floor. She reached to pick it up and noticed L's signature on it. She was nervous to pick it up. She reached down to the plush carpet and picked up the creamy envelope. Carefully with her fingernails, she ripped open it to find a note:

My present to you is two months of freedom while I'm visiting agencies scouting me. Think of me a lot!

My Love,

L

Sage read and reread the note over. Two months? What? Why so long? What does he mean freedom? She felt so confused, and for some reason; betrayed. She dragged herself from the bed and sprinted toward the front door to meet the limo driving away with L. Her L. Sage knelt down and cried, clutching the envelope to her chest.