Chapter 1

Sage Levise stepped out of the jet black limo into the bitter fall cold. She shivered and wrapped her thin coat over her. It was patched and frayed, even though her guardians were so rich they bathed in gold. A limo door up front slammed with such force that the car shook. "Lela! Get your trash out of here so we can get moving!" "Lela" was actually Sage, but the form that came with her gave her a different name. Sage hurriedly grabbed her equally patched and frayed suitcase before the door could slam her fingers. "Come!" commanded her "mother". She walked with the force of bull with rage. She straightened her glasses and smoothed back her hair into a bun as she made the earth shake.

Sage nervously shifted toward the gigantic orphanage. The fall cold held the white mist of breath in front of her face. She hugged her shivering body and glanced at all the gray around her. She hadn't been able to see color in a long time. She stopped seeing it when she was six, the age when her parents were taken by the FBI, and never seen again. They finally arrived at the gate to the looming orphanage. It had a clock tower comparable to Big Ben, and a feeling of something majestic.

A small group of children were waiting behind the black wrought iron gates. In front of them was a figure shadowed by his overlarge coat. He shifted the lock on the gate so it began to squeak open. He spoke from under his fedora hat. "Welcome. Please hurry inside for the business we must attend to. It is far to cold for the children."

"We understand. LELA!! HURRY UP!" screamed mother. Sage's father just walked forward without a sound, a shadow in the quiet night.

They all walked slowly to the front door. Sage studied the children next to her. They all seemed wary of her. One boy though seemed a little annoyed and a little curious. He had black hair and a pale face. But his most striking feature were his eyes. Dark and mysterious, underlined by black shadows. Sage also had shadows under her eyes. At least I have something in common with someone.

The inside of the orphanage was surprisingly warm and inviting. The floors were furnished with wood, the walls were painted a happy yellow, and everything looked comfortable. The guardians sat down to talk with the strange figure from the gate. Sage sat in front of the children restlessly.

"So, what's your name?" asked one of the people.

"I think they said it was Lela or something." replied another.

"Your wrong. My name isn't Lela. That is just a cover up. It is actually-"

"Oh so famous Miss Raccoon Eyes needs a cover up. Maybe she needs to meet Mr Raccoon Eyes." The person pushed the boy she saw earlier into her. She yelped as she fell to the floor. The rest of the children laughed.

"Isn't it nice to get acquainted like this? Right L?" L? Is that his name? Or is that an alias just like mine? L stood up and dusted himself off. Before he went over to the children he cast an angry glare at her. Sage put her knees to her chest and let the tears from her eyes go onto her pants. This is not a good start.

"So it is decided?" the figure asked the guardians.

"Business is done." 

"Good. I am sure we will welcome her with open arms."