Chapter 4

"Are we lost?" she asked in a sighful manner. Her skittishness was already perceptable in daylight circumstances, anymore surprises would have her collapse.

L shifted awkwardly and whispered,  "this is the forest behind the Wammy House."

Sage looked up at him in such a state of confusion that it took all of his strength not to smile. She was definitely bambi, he might call her that one day just to mess with her.

"Wait a moment, how do you know? Does this happen often?" she asked.

He was taken aback. She might look like dopey, but she was sharp.

"A bit." 

She mused, if it only happened a bit, then how did he escape from his binds so fast? She wasn't going to ask him any further questions. Clearly, he was uncomfortable.

"Since you know the way back, why aren't we going?" She asked.

He fiddled with his fingers, unsure of how to explain the future that was set up for them. He finally decided upon the simplest one.

"We're supposed to be bonding."

She snort escaped from her, and L realised what he just said.

"You made a pun--"

"Yeah I realize that--"

"You didn't even--"

"Not until afterwardness no."

She hugged her sides and smiled. He wasn't so bad, maybe if he was less raccoon and more cat, she could get used to putting up with him.

"Hey, I think we did some 'bonding'," she air quoted,"right there."

He chuckled slightly. "You think it's enough?"

She shrugged and poked his hand, "friendship doesn't happen overnight. Or over kidnapping. C'mon."

Sage leapt up and gave a good stretch. He gave her a slightly puzzled look, which turned into a look of surprise as she lifted him to his feet. 

"I'm going to do something corny, and you're going to roll with it." She said. And before he could forumalate a response, she grabbed his hand. "I'm going to pretend that I'm still shell-shocked from being blindfolded, and you're going to be the white knight and lead the way."

This time, L gave a whole-hearted, genuine smile. Sage tried to restrain her cheeks but to no avail, crimson waves swept her face.

Hand in hand, they toed the grass to the back entrance of Wammy. He still apprehensive, she still nervous; but both a little more accepting of each other. The slight bud of a friendship forming, under strange circumstances.