Crumbling Time (Chap. 1)

This is more fantasy than my other story. I know everyone is jazzed about the vampy stuff now, but this isn't that. It's still more supernatural, so I hope those vampire fans like it anyway. And as for the people who don't like that, I think you'll really like this.

Thanks for reading! Please comment, vote and fan me!

____________

1. Normal Life

"Lexie!"

I groaned. What did my mom want now? I put my book down and walked downstairs. "What, Mom?" I asked.

My mom presented me with the broom. "Go sweep up the grass from the sidewalk. Your father's finished mowing the lawn."

"Why do I have to do it?" I complained.

"Because I'm making lunch and your dad's about to take a shower," she said with a frown. "Now go."

I grunted and slouched out of the house. My mom could be so annoying. "I'm making lunch"? Are you kidding? What a lame excuse, Mom.

Well, technically she wasn't my mom. I was adopted, so she was really my guardian I guess. Either way, I loved her all the same.

My dad, too. He was a nice guy. In shape, too. Not something that you can easily find in a father-hehe. He worked out everyday at the gym, and was pretty buff because of it. My friend actually thought he was pretty good looking.

Gag. She must have bad taste.

Daphne, well, what can I say about her? My bushy redheaded friend was crazy. But aren't all friends? She was always running up to random guys in the mall and starting conversations with them. Then she always-and I mean always-was able to get the guy's number. She never called the dude, but she always tried to get me to, due to my never-ending single status.

Uh, no thanks.

I began sweeping the cut off grass stalks off the sidewalk and onto the grass. It didn't take me long, but it was getting colder out than it had been a moment before. The seasons were changing from winter to spring, and you could always tell when it was about to rain.

I hurried inside just as the first few drops came down and just as the phone rang. I ran to it and picked it up before it could ring a second time. I was surprisingly out of breath from the ten feet of running.

"Hello?" I gasped.

"Lexie?" I heard Daphne's voice ask.

"Hey," I said. "What's up?"

"Are you okay?" she asked. "You sounded like you just ran a mile."

"I ran into the house...from the yard," I replied sheepishly.

"You need to get in shape."

"I am in shape. I just...don't have endurance.

"Gee, no kidding."

"Stop criticizing me and get to the point. What's up?"

"I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out."

"Sure, that sounds fine. And because it is now raining you want me to walk over to your house?"

"Um...yeah."

"Of course. How did I know?"

"Because we've been friends since fourth grade."

"Right." After she stole my lunch.

My family and I had moved to Calhoun, Georgia when I was in fourth grade. That definitely wasn't as horrible as it could have been, meaning I could have came here when I was in my junior year-which I was in right now-and had no sense of who anyone was or what to do. So unlike most kids, I wasn't very bummed about it. I knew that's what always happens-you don't know anyone, I mean-when you move, but in fourth grade, people tended to be a lot nicer about things.