The Badboy, The Sat Nav and Me

Preface: Putting Plans into motion. 

The Bad boy, The Sat Nav and Me

                “No, Mum, I wasn’t anywhere near the shootings,” I drawled, leaning back against Hunter. I could hear her flustered sigh through the receiver which just made me grit my teeth in frustration. The woman worried far too much. Okay, granted that there was a major shootout at the strip club down the road, about ten people were found dead and I was actually in the building on my knees with a gun to my head. But I was okay and she clearly knew that as I was on the phone talking to her, not chilling out at the local morgue.

                “It was right down the road that you live on, sweetie. You have to understand my concern!” she exclaimed. I held the phone away from my ear when the pitch of her voice increased.

                “I know, I know. I was back at the apartment studying, everything was fine. I didn’t even hear anything.” Hunter’s fingers were tracing circles on my bare knee and his breath was hot on my neck.

                “Does your father know about this?” she asked. Yes, my dad knew about everything to do with the shootout and he also knew about my plans to go to Italy with Hunter. That conversation had been kind of awkward, considering that up until yesterday, he thought that my boyfriend was gay. Eventually, after using my innocent voice and talking to Ashley, his new wife, he’d agreed to let me spend three weeks over there with Hunter and my friends.

                “Yes. Also, I have something to ask you,” I replied after leaving a pause for dramatic effect. Well, mainly to prep myself for the yelling that was about to come through the phone. There was no way in hell that she’d be happy about it.

                “Go on.” Yep, she sounded aggravated already.

                “Well, I’m planning a trip abroad.” She didn’t let me get any further.

                “Do you have any idea how much this is going to cost? Let alone how many injections, travel insurance, health insurance costs you’re going to have to deal with! You haven’t finished your term yet and you won’t have any adult supervision with you, Andrea. You clearly haven’t thought this through.” I looked up at Hunter who was biting his lip to stop smirking. If someone supplied me with a wall, I would quite happily smash my skull against it.

                “Mum, I have thought this through. Dad said yes and he agreed to help pay for things! As for health insurance and injections, it’s not as if I’m going to Arctic to stay in an icecap for three weeks, is it?” I asked and she huffed. I should’ve gone for the suck up routine rather than the sassy smart ass approach.

                “Your father is clearly deluded and don’t use that tone with me,” she warned. Hunter couldn’t stop the smirk this time so I swatted his arm, turning my back against him again.

                “He’s not deluded, he’s being reasonable. I don’t even know why I bothered asking permission, I’m nineteen, I can make my own decisions,” I hissed.

                “Excuse me?”

                “Hunter’s going! You remember him?” There was a pause on the other end of the line. No way in hell would my mother ever forget Hunter. For two hours when she came to visit, she turned into a complete cougar and if I wasn’t there, I was sure that she’d have lured him into the bedroom.