Chapter one

The orphanage was bursting with activity as i walked down the corridor to the administrator's office; i ignored the whispering and gossiping i heard when i walked past my friends, what they were saying about me is true, i am different from the others here and they sing it to my ears every time not that they are mean to me, they only made me realize that i am an half caste and i did not blame them though, i blame the woman i can never call my mother, the woman who left me in a basket at the side of the road, the woman that did not care if i survived or not, she hated me because i was not dark skinned like every one here, she could have aborted me when i was forming in her womb. Why did she hate me? I could have been a perfect daughter; i might eventually win a scholarship with my high intellectual ability but she abandoned me before i could remember what her face looked liked. There were times when i would cry myself to sleep wishing for the arms of my mother around me, there were times when i needed a motherly presence and encouragement, there are times when i would imagine how her smile would lit up when I scored good grades, but no, all I ever got was the presence of loners like me who wanted to belong to a family too.

I walked into the administrators office with no confidence at all I knew married couples preferred young children or babies to adopting teenagers and coming for an interview was a waste of time the only solution i have is that when i turn eighteen i should get out of here and go into the world.

'So you are Eve right?' A man in his early thirties asked me when i sat opposite him, beside him was a beautiful woman that was smiling at me, they looked nice and happy and i loved happy couples because they always build happy families.'

'y---yes sir.'

He looked at the paper in front of him. 'You are sixteen and you have been here since you were a baby?'

'No sir. I have been here since I was five, and i am seventeen'

'That contradicts what's written here, you are Eve right?' he asked going through the paper again. 'Eve---what?

I have been asked that question times without number and i was getting sick of doing interviews that would not favor me at last, i have been rejected times without number and it was tearing my heart into two.

'i----don't have a surname, my mother never named me, she abandoned me in a bush when i was three days old, i was found by an old woman.'

I smiled when i remembered the old woman and her affection, she treated me like i was her own daughter and gave me the little she had, when she could no longer take care of me she took me to the orphanage and gave me a gold necklace with the name 'EVA' with a big love written on it she said she found it on my neck when she saw me and decided not to sell it because it may help me locate my family later in the future.

'Where were you staying before you were brought here?'

'I was staying with the woman who found me.'

He put he paper down and stared at me. 'You have a good record, you are well behaved and a brilliant student apart from reading. What do you do with your spare time?'

'I play football and..............'

'Really? That is good, really good.'

Yes it is. The only problem was that when they leave they forget about me and leave me waiting for someone to come and claim me as theirs.

'What else do you like Eve?'

'Dancing------. I also play basketball.'

At the end of the interview i walked out knowing that there was no way they would adopt me, the man sounded really nice although, his wife was really quiet which made me wonder what was going on in her mind while her husband was asking me questions because all she did was smile at me . I went to the place where we were to wait for the announcement of the results, today is the day when different couples would come to the private orphanage and talk with different children and they would choose the child they want. I have seen friend come ad go, new children are coming in and most of my friends have found new homes and I was happy for them I prayed today would be my day, there was no enjoyment in the orphanage we hardly ate and when we do it is not always enough, the system complained of lack of adequate fund, celebrities hardly visited, the dorms where we slept were old and in bad conditions, the roof were leaking, the toilets were stinking and dirty and, for the teenage girls we had few sanitary materials to manage. My only dream is to make it big in life and then do all i can to help the lives of children like me inNigeria.

Sister Felicia a strict middle age catholic sister came inside the room holding a long paper that had the list of names of the children that got lucky this month and were going to be adopted, as she called the first ten names my heartbeat accelerated with fear and