chapter four

The next day the gang went to the market to start a riot; john told me they were going to fight with Big-eyed Sunday who had assaulted Michaels’ girlfriend.

             ‘You can’t come Eve’ john told me that morning ‘the riot is going to be a deadly one and is no place for a quite gentle and shy girl like you.’       

                   ‘The other girls are going. Right?’ i asked

       ‘Yes… ..’ he said as he put something in his pockets quickly. Knife?

My eyes widened. ‘It is going to be bloody…’ he said again.

When he left i lay in bed thinking about him, he was nice to me unlike his brother Michael, that was distant me. John was nineteen years old ad had been living on the streets since he was five with his brother that seniored him with ten years, his brother had been taking care of him since their parent died in a civil service crisis. I heard of the riot although i was not born then my grandma told me it was deadly.

       John told me he liked me because i was shy and not used to the hustle life, he said he could not leave me alone in them market because i had nowhere to go ad i would be hurt if i stay on the streets at night. I dozed off again and when i woke up it was in the night and the gang had not arrived i was slightly worried and hungry but i didn’t know how to cook so i slept again when i was bored.

 For about a week the gang didn’t come and i was forced to go out on my own i took money from johns’ purse and went out unsure of myself, when i got to the market every thing was peaceful and normal  and there was no sign of the gang or any riot anywhere. I saw a girl hawking bottled water i went closer to her.

   ‘Excuse me.’

She turned.

I did not know how to frame my question or put what i wanted to say without looking stupid.

  ‘Erm…the fight….did any fight happen in the market…..’

            ‘Yes. About a week ago.’ she answered

  ‘Please tell me. What happened?’

‘Well, all i know was that the boys were arrested and taking to the police station.’

POLICE STATION oh no. ‘Why…...’i asked near tears.

The girl looked at me strangely. ‘They nearly killed three people and someone was hospitalized….those notorious boys scattered the whole market ad nearly beat a man to death…’

Big-eyed Sunday. ‘Do you know where they took them? I asked.

                 ‘Not far from here.’ She answered 

‘Can you take me there?

The girl stared at me like i was mad. ’please.’ I begged.

   ’i am so sorry but from what i hare they have been trialed and the only place i can take you to is the court.’

            She took me to the court and from there i learnt that they had been released on bail but they were still in custody because they could not pay and i was not allowed to see them, i decided to go back home and look for money, but to my surprise the money was gone ‘everything’ someone came home when i went away and stole the money. Stupid me i forgot to lock the door in my haste to find my family. I went back to the court later that afternoon to beg whoever was in authority, and i was sent directly to the judge.