chapter six

Chapter six    

   ‘What do you want me to believe?’ he asked.

‘I am not mad and i can prove it, i am mentally capable of thinking for myself.’

       ‘Prove it.’

‘How else can i prove it to you that i am okay…...’

He was silent for a while and when he spoke i fell quiet and watched him. ‘Eve i know what you are aiming at but, i want to help you....’

       ‘By taking me to a psychiatric hospital or taking me back to an orphanage…?’

 ‘No….even though i believe you are not mentally okay, i know you need help and i am going to help you i promise. I am not taking you back to the orphanage or to any hospital.’

 I closed my eyes. ‘So where are you taking me?’

         ‘Somewhere i would be able to monitor and take care of you till you get better. My home.’

   I shook my head slowly trying to access my situation. How did i get myself into this mess? There was a serious traffic hold-up when we were about to leave salvation army, the traffic was so annoying that we were in a spot for minutes and little children used the opportunity to sell their wares under the hot sun running between moving cars it was pathetic and beg for money.

     ‘It’s always like this here; don’t worry, once we get away from this area the traffic would move freely.’

          ‘Are you hungry?’ he asked.

‘No….. No thank you.’

        ‘How long have you been staying with those guys?’

 ‘A couple of weeks.’

         ‘Where have you been staying before then?’ he asked again

‘Girls of hope convent.’  

              ‘Girls of hope convent? I actually visited the place last week.’

Maybe he was the important guest they were waiting the day i was sent out, for i thought to myself but said nothing aloud.

          ‘What are you doing outside the convent?’

‘I was sent out.’ I said inaudibly.

      ‘You were sent out” what for?’

I didn’t reply and i watched as streams of people walked down the busy streets as he skillfully maneuvered his way out of the traffic.

    ‘Never mind Eve, i don’t want to make you uncomfortable but, if you want me to help you have to trust me and tell me everything……so why were you sent out?’ he repeated.

       ‘B—because i didn’t get adopted.’

He said nothing more and everything remained silent and on hold in my head, the road was free now as we got to the highway and drivers drove at any attainable speed. After driving for hours, i noticed the change of environment, gone were the old worn-out dilapidated building and the bad road and it was replaced by big modern looking houses, everything looked expensive……reserved like it carried an expensive tag.

                   Reserved for the rich only 

On a different mental and emotional level, i wanted john to be here with me, i wanted him to leave the local place and come with me but he couldn’t there was tight security everywhere; it was but meant for ordinary citizens but for those in high positions.

       ‘This is a government reserved area right?’

‘Yeah.’ He answered.

       ‘But the houses don’t look alike.’

He smiled. ‘That is because the houses here are privately owned and built.’

He stopped his jeep in front of a big black gate and hooted his horn twice, before the security men opened the iron gates and he drove in. seven hundred million naira, it was a huge figure to me but what i saw was not a castle as i had expected but a very exquisite and substantial mansion set on acres of land with a beautiful scenery, the house was very big and it made me wonder if the man and his family were into an undercover drug-dealing business.

             The lady i saw with him earlier at the market came out of the house and enveloped him in her arms as soon as he stepped out of the jeep.

             ‘Why did you leave me without any explanation?’

He said nothing as he came over to open the passengers’ door. But i couldn’t get down i felt suddenly small and vulnerable. ‘Don’t tell me you are developing cold feet.’ He said smiling.

             ‘Who the hell is this!’ the lady asked.

‘Stella we would discuss later…..’

      He turned to me again and studied me quietly as i refused to move, i don’t belong in this huge place, and I wanted to go back, but back where?

         ‘Do you want to make a scene?’ he said. ‘I would carry you upstairs if i have to.’

‘What do you mean by discuss later, you left me at the market with no explanation only to come home with this trash’

          Now that was enough …..I want to go away from her smoldering gaze. He ignored her and came into the car.

   ‘Eve. Do you want to make a scene?’ he asked again.

‘Please take me back; i don’t want to stay here.’

A small smile appeared on the corner of his mouth as he reached out for me. ‘It is too late you can’t go back now.’  

              Ignoring the lady’s protest and mine he carried me like a weightless paper and didn’t stop until he had successfully kept me as a prisoner in a room and he stood watching me in front of the closed door. ‘Perfect….this place is totally egg proof; i would have word with the maids and tell them not to serve you eggs.’

    ‘My parents are away……so tonight you would be dining with me and Stella, i would be right back.’

 With that he left leaving me in the big white room that was thoroughly clean and polished.

I have a prayer for you and that prayer is don’t forget to press that vote button and comment as it all gets better. Love from mee.