chapter nine

Chapter nine

The next morning, Stella dressed in a short strapless black gown looking extra-ordinarily pretty in her long flowing brown hair.

       ‘Am going to miss you honey....’ she said flinging her arms round Steven ‘but don’t worry i would be back before you know it.’

 When she had gone i felt peaceful, i didn’t know about other but i was relieved and at ease when she left. Steven called me later that day and told me to test my academic ability.

    ‘This is a very hard quadratic equation and if you get two out of five. I owe you something because the equation is difficult to solve.’ He warned

      ‘Can you handle it?’ he asked.

   ‘Let me try.’ I answered, i am very good at solving equations and i was not scared.

I collected the book and pen and started solving the equation……..when i was through i gave it to him and waited as he checked my workings. Ashe cross-checked everything i compared his attractive face to john, his face was smooth and looked soft like that of a baby. He had grey eyes but his Cupid’s bow lips caught my attention it had not been blackened like that of john.

 He looked up and caught me staring i looked away awkwardly.

      ‘I can’t believe it eve.’

I held my breath as he showed me the book. ‘You got everything.’ There was disbelieve in his eyes as he looked down thoughtfully. ‘I had been so wrong about you.’  

      ‘Is there anything i can do you?’

‘No.’

     ‘c’mon, tell me.’

I looked down.

  ‘Okay. Do you want to go out with me this evening?’

 I looked up.

 ‘Just for sport…..there is a football field here.’ He added quickly.

  ‘At the stadium?’

‘No. Some of my friends come over and today we have a kind of competition….you would see it’s always interesting.’

‘Where is he taking you?’

Mummy Tutu the motherly maid told asked as i told her what Steven told me.

    ‘He said there is a football field here.’

‘Ohh, that’s true so he wants to take you there?’

      ‘Yes.’

‘That is weird he has never taken Stella there before.’

    I said nothing and frowned.

‘Kilode?’ she asked.

‘Nothing.’ I replied and she smiled. ‘There is nothing to worry about.’

She gave me an oversized blue sport vest and black tight fitting shorts and as usual Steven was waiting outside looking more boyish than before in a red vest and khaki shorts that stopped above his knees.

He took my hand and led me first to the ornamental garden then later to a vast land that resembled a park; i noticed the family were lovers of nature, coconut  trees lined up and also added it’s own beauty showing a typical Nigerian home with the presence of orange and mango trees and vegetable beds i. I suppressed my excitement as he took a sunflower and put it in my hair.