Chapter 8

Emma’s POV:

                I woke up to the sun shining on my face and I turned to see H sleeping next to me. I sat there for a little bit, just watching him sleep and watching his chest rise up and down as he breathed. Sensing I moved a bit, H woke up and started to stretch and open his eyes. For some reason, I didn’t want him to know I was awake so I rolled over to face the other side and closed my eyes. He yawned and did a small chuckle and pulled me into his body.

“Good morning.” He said with his deep morning voice and gave me a kiss at the top of my head. “Didn’t think I heard you get up?”

“I don’t know.” I said with a smile.

“Well I did you sneaky girl.” H said and smiled.

“H, I don’t know if it’s just me or not, but in the morning do you ever not want to say stuff just to, I don’t know, savior your first words of the day?” I asked sheepishly.

“Uh, yeah, sure sometimes.” H said trying to understand me and grabbed my hand.

“Well I do that a lot.” I said. “And I just want to let you know, I love the idea of waking up next you and using those words that I savior sometimes.”

“It’s my honor.” H said and kissed the back of my hand and giggled.

“Did you sleep well?” I asked as I snuggled into him.

“Yes I did, thank you for asking.” H said with a smile. “How about yourself?”

“Pretty good.” I said. “Expect I realized something.”

“What is that?” He asked while playing with my hair.

“Well, uh, today is my last day in Chicago before I have to go back to Maryland.” I said and sat up.

“Is it really?” H said and sat up next to me, I nodded my head. “Well not’s let that ruin our day. If this is your last day here, let’s make the most of it!”

H’s POV:

                We spent the day walking around the city and I tried so hard to get her mind off of leaving tomorrow, but whatever I did, I could tell she was still thinking about it in the back of her mind. We got back to the hotel at around 10pm and we lay down on the bed cuddling for a while until I had to leave.

“H, we have to talk about tomorrow.” She said. “We have to figure out what we are going to do.”

“Well what are we going to do?” I said

“Well I’m going back to Maryland; I don’t know what you’re going to do.” She said and got out of the bed.

“I can’t go with you, I still have work here.” I said standing up also.

“I don’t expect you to.” She said quietly.

“Well what do you want me to do?” I said raising my voice a bit higher.

“I don’t know.” She said still quietly.

“Emma, this is exactly like how it was last time.”I said and went over to her. “What do you want me to do?”

“I told you I don’t know.” She said

I grabbed her shoulders. “What do you want me to do?! Tell me Emma!”

She started to tear up. “I said I don’t know.”

“You are the one who came back to Chicago; you told me you wanted to work this out again.”

“I do.” She said with a tear flowing down my cheek.

“You can’t expect me to drop everything because you are back in my life.”

“I never wanted you to!” She yelled and backed away from me. “I already told you, I didn’t want us to happen again! I didn’t come back for you! I came back for my job, H, my job. And now I am getting on a plane tomorrow to Maryland, back to my job.”

“Emma, come on I know you don’t mean that.” I said and walked back over to her. “We will work it out, we will do it right this time, we have to, we owe that to ourselves.”

“We don’t owe each other anything.” She said knowing it wasn’t true.

“Are you listening to yourself?” I said “Not just three days ago you came back to me saying you still loved me. You told me all I needed to do to make you stay was to tell you I love you and to get rid of Eleanor. I did those things, why are you trying to run away again?”

“I was caught up in the moment.” She said looking down. “H, we’ve already done this before. It didn’t work out.”

“I will try harder.” I said

“There is no more trying!” She yelled with tears streaming down her face. “I can’t do this anymore H! I’m tired.”

“Please, Em, don’t do this.” I said starting to tear up myself.

“I would like you to leave now.” She said and opened the door.

“Don’t, Em, please.” I said. She didn’t say anything and just kept standing there holding the door open. “I will go on one condition, you have to look me in the eyes and tell me you don’t love me.”

“Okay. I don’t lov-“She started but then choked up and started to cry.

I walked up to her and kissed her hard on the lips. “Please, don’t let me leave like this.”

She wiped the tears off of her cheeks. “I have an early flight tomorrow. I need to go to sleep.”

I looked at her a little bit longer but she wasn’t giving in. “Fine, I’m going.” I said and gave her a kiss on the top of her head. “I love you, get some sleep.”

“Bye H.” she said and closed the door after me.

                I drove back to my house just thinking about all that happened. When I got home, I didn’t even check my computer or change clothes. I just hopped right into bed, left alone to my thoughts. And even though I was not sleeping right beside her, I still had the feeling that Emma was crying right now, and it killed me that I was not there to wipe those tears from her face and tell her that everything was going to be okay.