Chapter 2

Emma’s POV:

                I was on the plane to Chicago and it was definitely not long enough to collect all my thoughts and calm myself down. When I got off the plane, I got a taxi and went straight to my hotel to check in, to the agency. After a long day working, I went to get myself dinner and I remembered a Chipotle down the street so I decided to make my way there.

                When I got there, the first thing I noticed was that this was the Chipotle I first met H at all those years ago. I shook off the thoughts of him and went in to order the same thing I always get and ordered for to go. Before leaving, I looked around and sure enough I saw him. H was there sitting by himself and eating his burrito, looking the same for the most part; better if that was even possible. I wasn’t sure whether or not I wanted him to see me, but I decided that it was for the best if we just kept our separate ways.

“Emma?” Or not. “Emma is that you?” H said

There was no point in avoiding him so I turned around with a smile. “HBomb94 is that you?!”

He stood up and walked over to me and gave me a giant hug. I couldn’t lie to myself and say that it didn’t feel good to be back in his arms, even if it wasn’t permanently.  

“Oh my god Em. I haven’t seen you in what? 2 years?”

“3 actually.” I said with a slight blush.

“Wow 3 years…” H said looking at me dumbfounded. “Well I’m sitting over there, come over so I can keep an eye on my food and stuff.”

“Okay.” I said and walked over to join him. Looking at the table I saw that he had a burrito bowl. “Wow, when did you switch to a bowl?”

“Oh, I don’t know.” He said and that tapped his stomach. “Got to watch the weight.”

                I nodded even though it wasn’t true. H was perfect for his size and I knew that he would’ve much rather gotten a burrito then care about his weight. As I shrugged it off, I looked around the Chipotle and then realized that this was our spot. It was the place where we sat when we first met.

“So Emma, what are you doing here?” He said and then realized the tone of his voice. “I mean not to be rude, I just mean don’t you still live in Maryland?”

“Yeah I do.”

“Oh okay, so then what brings you to Chicago? Business or pleasure?” He asked and then flashed me that golden smile of his.

“Business.” I said and he nodded his head in understanding. “I work for an environmental policy agency and I travel around to the different agencies.”

“Oh okay cool, see I-“He started but then got interrupted by a woman who came to the table.

“Hey Liam, who is this?” The woman asked.

“Oh Eleanor, this is Emma.” H introduced and I shook her hand.

“Oh so this is Emma! Nice to meet you!” She said.

 I was instantly confused. ‘She knows who I am? Has H mentioned me to her before? I wonder what he has said about me…’

“Likewise.” I said. ‘So, um, how do you know H?”

“Oh, I’m his girlfriend.” She said and I think I felt my heart break a little bit.

                I looked at H but he only gave a shy smile. I would have never expected H to get a new girl friend so quickly… I mean it’s been 3 years, but still! I didn’t find someone new…

“Um, excuse me I don’t mean to be rude but…” Eleanor said interrupting my thoughts, I looked up at her. “But um, you’re kind of sitting in my seat.”

When she said this, I finally noticed that purse lying next to the bottom of the chair and realized how I could’ve missed it beforehand.

“Oh yeah, of course, sorry. I was just leaving anyway.” I said and started to get up.

“No Emma, don’t leave!” H said stopping me in my movements. “I just…um…we should catch up some time!”

“I don’t think so H, I mean you have Eleanor-“

“Oh no it’s fine with me!” Eleanor said with a smile. “It’s just two friends hanging out for old times’ sake!”

                Friends? After all that happened between us and he told us that we were only friends?

“Great!” H said enthusiastically. “Do you have the same number?”

“Yeah, I do.” I said

“Okay great, I’ll text you then.” H said and gave me a sad smile

“Yeah, okay well, um, I’m going to go now. Enjoy your meal.” I said walking away.

“You too!” H said, already turning his attention to Eleanor and away from me.