Chapter 18: Unwanted Attention

18

Joseph watched in horror as the red haired demon- Memphos- let go of Aziz. The afrit slumped over, falling off of the burnt chair and onto the ground. He was unconscious... possibly dead. Even though he was an ass who Joseph has just met, the thought of Aziz being dead stuck like a cold blade into the linguist's stomach.

"Piece if shit." muttered Memphos in Latin as he walked over to his assistant, the demon with the yellow hair (what was his name? I remember him from Hell... it was something beginning with an 'L'..).

"Rag?" Replied the yellow haired demon, (also in Latin) pulling a dark, silky cloth from seemingly nowhere and handing it to Memphos. He smirked down towards Aziz as Memphos wiped the afrit's blood from his well kept nails.

"Take him to my chambers, Luvart... Him and I have things to talk about." said Memphos, seemingly in thought.

First time ever that being a linguist actually helped me out. Thought Joseph, as he listened to the demons' Latin conversation.

"Um..." Said the yellow haired demon, Luvart, his mask of confidence faltering. He seemed upset, a bit edgy. Joseph frowned to himself as he saw Memphos shoot a glare that quickly dissolved into sadistic amusement towards Luvart.

"You have a problem with that?" He said, knowing very well the unspoken answer.

Luvart flinched, then quickly smirked in an attempt to cover his tracks. "No of course not, your majesty."

"Good, because when I'm done with him, he won't be able to remember his own name, let alone walk. That afrit has crossed the line..." Memphos seemed to turn sour, angered at something he was recalling. "I shouldn't have let him go after the whole mess with that fae. And now he is standing in my way, taking what is rightfully mine.." Joseph could only assume that he himself was what Memphos was after. That thought sent a shudder up the linguist's spine, leaving his hand to unconsciously rub the pentagram on his hip.

"His punishment is far overdue." Memphos muttered, moving, preoccupied, and heading towards the mangled ruin of a door. Luvart followed the demon king's exit with his eyes, a look of concern flittering across his well sculpted face.

Then he turned to Aziz.

And sighed.

Then it dawned upon Joseph.

Luvart has a thing... for Aziz!

He watched as the yellow haired demon gently slid his arms under the unconscious afrit, lifting him up and cradling him carefully, looking... longingly... at his face.

Joseph gulped. Wherever the hell they were taking Aziz didn't sound good. Actually, it probably was hell.

I should do something... help him.. Joseph thought restlessly to himself. But then he remembered what Aziz had said, about staying in this strange half reality, no matter what.

But it's Aziz... he's going to get..

Joseph couldn't finish the thought. From the sounds of it, Aziz was going to get a lot of unwanted stuff.

Meanwhile, Luvart was almost out of the room. Just before he left, though, Joseph heard him murmur, "Darling, I hope you just tell him where the human is... don't do this to yourself.. don't be the stubborn ass you usually are..." Then with one last sigh, he was gone.

***

Joseph sat where he was, afraid to move, for what must have been hours. He had almost left the realm, feeling with his mind as reality sucked him back, until those creatures... the disgusting stumpy ones... they swarmed the room, searching, tearing, tearing the place to the ground brick by brick.