Chapter 2: Getting Acquainted

2

In the northeast part of the sky, there was a bright flash and then a thundering boom. The atmosphere burned at the metal hull of the distant object, though it held fast, taking the entry with ease. To the west, across the vast expanses of desert, alarms were beginning to go off as the object registered on various instruments and radars. 

                                                                               *       *      *

The team sat in the dark van, staring at each other from across the isle. Everyone seemed on edge, and the tension in the air was so thick, it could be cut with a knife. The guard nearest to the door, sporting a M-60 and a buzz cut, smirked towards the man across the isle. 

"Whaddya think it is?" He said, spitting out a bit of chewing tobacco.

The man across from him looked up. "Whatcha mean? I know as much as you know, Jay."

Jay shook his head, his smirk growing even wider. "Man I don' care whatcha know, I wanna know whatcha think it is."

The man across the isle looked a bit dejected, he wasn't too bright. "Well, I figure it's just anoth'r shot aircraft. Or sumthing like that."

Jay looked at the man. "You ain't very creative, are ya? I betcha twenty big 'uns that this is sumthing real big. Big enough to get inno the hist'ry books for sure."

The man across the isle eyed Jay warily, among the platoon he was know to be a slippery fellow. Finally, though, the man came to a decision, and placing his gun across his lap, put his hand out to shake. "I take tha' bet. It never is nuthing and probably never will be."

Jay shook the man's hand, but kept his smirk.

                                                                             *           *          *

The Company-sponsored truck rolled to a stop a couple meters out from the fresh crater. The uniformed men, armed head to toe with the latest in weapons, marched out towards the impact site. A second Company truck pulled up behind the first, though it consisted, on the inside, of only four guards and a... human-sized.... cage.

The group of soldiers crept warily towards the crater's edge, guns pointed. There was no movement save for a thin stream of steady smoke coming off of the gleaming metal within. 

The object wasn't very large, but could probably fit seven or eight people, easily. It was shaped more like a car as opposed to the traditional UFO, though it had no visible windshields or windows.  

Jay stepped right up to the edge, the with some grace, jumped into the crater, and walked up to the object. He then did the unthinkable, and began banging on it. The other soldiers warily followed him into the crater, and watched his lack of progress.

"Well DAMN!" Said Jay, "Them damn greenies just don't seem to wanna play, now do they?" He kicked at the craft some more.

"C'mon Jay, don't be doing that. Who knows what kinda phasers or whatnot they've got on that thing." It was the man from before, who had made the deal with Jay.

The other men had, by this point, gotten closer. Obviously Jay was unharmed, so what is the worry? Maybe it was uninhabited.

"Well I'll be damned if they have a phaser!" Jay laughed, "'Cause they don't even seem to know howda operate this damn thing!" He gave the ship one more decisive kick.