Prologue

A/N: So excited to give you the prologue of my new Adamtina fic, California Promise! I know I have not been active lately, but I've been at lost for what to write. The Lonely World will be put on hold for now as I want to work on California Promise.

I'm hoping I will go far with this fic. If I do suffer from a writers block (which I might. But let's hope that does not happen) I will try to get my inspiration back somehow.

If there are any mistakes, I apologize. Currently I am proof reading my chapters myself and may miss something. But just ignore any typos, that hopefully, there are not allot of.

Enjoy! And reviews are helpful to keep me going and writing.

XXXXXX

Seventeen-year-old Christina sat next to nineteen-year-old Adam. A notebook was spread out on his lap, a guitar by his side. They had been busy for the last half-hour writing a song together.

They had been seeing each other for a few weeks now and Christina felt like she had never been before. She forgot about all of her troubles; she forgot about her family's troubles; she forgot about everything-but Adam. He was charming, loving and treated her with respect. Though he was three years older than her, she didn't care what her mother thought of Adam. Her mother could fret over his tattoos all she wanted.

Christina had met Adam at a concert. He had walked her home where they exchanged numbers. After that, it was like they had connected.

Christina twirled a strand of Adam's hair in her index finger as he stared in concentration at the words on the paper. Then, he took his guitar and began to play a few notes.

"Sound good?" Adam asked Christina as he strung a few cords.

"Perfect," Christina answered slowly. She traced her middle finger down his shoulder, a smile playing at her lips.

"You're making it hard to concentrate," Adam teased, grinning.

Christina's smile turned into a smirk. She then began to run hot, open-mouthed kisses over his neck.

Adam set his guitar down next to him and took Christina into his lap. Their lips met heatedly in a kiss that was filled with need. As Adam deepened the kiss with fervor, Christina moaned softly into his lips, giving him entrance. Their tongues mingled, their bodies grew closer, their need poured out. They finally pulled away for breath, both breathing hard.

Christina kissed Adam's cheek quickly before picking up the notebook and glancing at the song they had written.

"You know?" she spoke suddenly. "This would be a big hit."

Adam nodded in agreement. "You're right."

"We could go to L.A California and make our way into the music world," Christina mused thoughtfully.

"Then I will make you a promise, Chris." Adam smiled at the look of interest on her face as she waited for him to go on. "I promise to get you to L.A so you can achieve your dream."

Christina hugged him to her, a genuine smile on her lips. "Promise?"

"I'll pinky swear."

Adam stuck out his pinky, a warm smile playing on his lips. Christina linked her pinky with his, sealing the promise.

A week later, Christina came home to the apartment she lived in with her mother and brother from her first day back to school. She was tired and just wanted to get a snack and take a short nap.

The apartment they lived in was run down and small. But it was all they could afford right now: money was tight. And with a preteen boy in the house who was still growing, and a teenager, it was even harder.

Christina slipped into their small, three bedroom apartment. The place was quiet as she made her way into the kitchen. Dropping her bag on a chair, she wondered why it was so quiet. It was never this silent, as her brother would always fill in the quietness with laughter and his voice.

Christina opened the fridge and pulled out a container of left-over rice. She popped it in the microwave to warm as her mother stepped into the kitchen with two grocery bags.

"Hi honey. How was your day?" Shelly asked in a weary tone. Black circles shadowed under her eyes from lack of sleep. She looked tired, but tried not to show her fatigue from working all day.

"Great, mom," Christina replied, taking out the canned tuna from the plastic bag and putting it away in its place. As she helped unload the rest of the groceries, her mother sighed and sat heavily down in a chair.

"Do you mind starting dinner?" she asked.

"Sure thing, mom." Christina gave her mother a reassuring smile. "Why don't you go lay down and rest? I have things under control."

Shelly smiled tiredly and stood. "Thank you, Chris."

After unloading the groceries, Christina took the rice from the microwave, grabbed a fork from the drawer and began to eat.

Her nap could wait. Her mother needed her help and she didn't want to let her down.

Christina finished her snack and padded down the hall to her room. She slipped into the simple room that she had tried to make as cherry as possible. Curtains a sky-blue color hung from the window overlooking New-York city. The bed had a matching comforter and pillows. A dresser sat in one corner while a closet door opened up to what clothes she had.

Christina hung her jacket up in the closet, her thoughts wandering. She turned and almost missed the note laying on top of her bed. Curious, she slowly walked to her bed. As she grasped the note in her fingers, she began to read:

Chris,

I'm sorry. But I'm leaving New York behind for a new life. It's nothing you've done.

I know we had something really special. I don't want your heart to break once you read this, but it's for the best.

I hope maybe our paths will cross someday. Until then, remember to follow that dream of yours.

Love, Adam

Christians let the note slip from her fingers and fall back onto the bed as her heart broke. Hot tears stung at her eyes, blurring her vision. As the a single tear slipped down her cheek she felt torn. Why? Why did life have to be so unfair? She loved Adam and here he was, leaving her.

"I'm home!" her brother, thirteen-year-old Daniel 'Danny' called from the hallway.

Christina wiped the tears away and pulled herself together. She couldn't drown in her misery and let her family down. So with a stiff smile, she stood up straight and made her way to the kitchen to start dinner.

Adam may have left, but she wouldn't let him get the best of her or ruin her life.