Daddy's A Little Overprotective

You sigh, taping the all familiar name in your phone and waiting for him to answer.
"Hey," he said smiling sounding breathless.
"Hey," you smiled feeling instantly better just hearing his voice, "So how was the show?"
"Oh, it was the best!" He exclaimed. You could tell he was still full of adrenaline from their concert who knows where 700 miles from you, "What's up? I miss you."
"I miss you, too," you smile and then frown thinking about what you need to get off your chest. That was the thing with Riker, you could always tell him everything and you always did. "I just got off the phone with my mom."
"Then why do you seem so down?"
"She decided it would be a good time to start on me about how you're just going to leave me because you're famous and you get to see a million pretty girls daily. She then felt the need to emphasize not only the million, but the pretty and daily as well," sighing you know you shouldn't let it get to you, but it does because you can't help that little nagging sensation in the back of your brain reminding you just how right your mother was.
"Baby," he sighed and he sounded helpless. You wished you hadn't even brought it up, "You know that she's just protective. I mean I do travel the world. I can understand where she gets all of her worry from."
"I know it's all in good intentions, but I can't help to think, you know, what if my mom is actually right?" You felt the tears prick at your eyes and then you felt them rolling down your checks.
"Baby, you know I would never leave you." He only used baby when he was at a loss for words and trying to drive his point home.
"I don't mean on purpose." You trailed off, "I just mean, they're so many pretty girls out there. So many of them and they all want you."
"Yeah, I'll admit there are lots of girls that want me. I mean look at me," he took a second to chuckle at his own joke, "But the only girl I want. The only girl in the whole entire world that I have eyes for is on the other end of the phone."
You smile weakly, "I know. I'm sorry. It's just when she says stuff like that it drives me insane and makes me crazy worried."
You can almost see his smile on the other end of the line, "I can't blame her."
"You can't?"
"I mean, her daughter is dating some traveling musician in a band."
You laughed, "A pretty good band."
"Wouldn't that freak you out, too?"
"Yeah, I guess." You could tell Riker felt uncertain about something just by the way he was pausing, "What is it?"
"Rocky told me not to tell you because it would sound creepy."
"Riker, what is it?"
"Don't judge me?"
"We've been together for almost a year I feel like there isn't anything left for me to judge."
"I just, I think about our future sometimes."
You tried really hard to suppress the awe that wanted to escape your lips, but unfortunately you could not.
"Okay, Nevermind." He quickly muttered into the phone all ready to change the conversation.
"Riker, this is the sweetest thing you've ever said. Please finish what you were saying."
"Okay, okay." You could practically see the blush creeping up his cheeks on the other side of the phone, "I just think about us... And our kids. And how one day it might be our little princess who dates some guy who travels the world with his band."
You smile, "Really?"
"Yeah, is that weird?"
"That has to be the cutest thing I've ever heard."
"That's just why I've found it easier to understand where your mom is coming from."
"I guess," you giggled wrapped up in your fantasy land imaging Riker and your children, "I feel like you'll warn the poor boy the moment she brings him home. You'll warn him with a big gun that you don't even know how to shoot."
"Who's she?"
"Our daughter, silly."
"Sweetheart, the moment I find out you're pregnant with a girl, I will learn out I shoot a gun."
You laugh trying to imagine him holding a gun, "I'm keeping you to that."
He laughs, "Okay, but we still have a while."
"Yeah, I know. I'm just glad you think about things like that."
"I do. All the time. I couldn't imagine my future without you."
"I couldn't either."
It's quiet on the other end and you can tell he's savoring the short time you two have, "I hate to say it..."
"Time to go?" You smile slightly.
"Unfortunately. I have to get on the plane to go to our next tour stop."
"Be careful. I love you."
"I will. I love you, too, so, so much. I miss you more than anything in this world. I can't wait until I can hold you in my arms again."
"I miss you, too, Riker. I'll see you soon."
"If only it was sooner," he lets out a sigh.
"It's okay. Skype me when you can?"
"Of course. Bye."
"Bye."

19 years later...
True to his word, Riker had gone out and bought a rifle the moment the doctor told you both that you were having a beautiful little girl. Now, your daughter was going on her very first date. When you first told Riker, he went ballistic insisting that your 16 year old daughter, his little princess, was not old enough to date. After a lot of convincing, he agreed to let her go on a date, only if he got to meet the boy first. While your daughter was upstairs getting ready, Riker was cleaning his gun.
"Honey, are you serious?" You ask trying to suppress your giggle.
He stands up, looks out of the curtain, and nods with his back turned to you, "Nobody's going to hurt my baby."
You walk over to him and slide your arms around his torso, "It's just a date, you know."
He turns, wraps his free hand around your waist, and kisses the top of your head, "I know, I know. I just worry."
You hear a car pull up into the driveway. Riker immediately sits down in a chair in the living room and begins acting 'scary'. The door bell rings. You shake your head and answer it.
When you open the door you are greeted by a rather tall young man with blonde hair and brown eyes. He is wearing a light green button down shirt and khaki pants. He is holding a bouquet of flowers and is shaking so hard that petals are beginning to fall off. You smile, "Come in." You escort the young man into the living room and give Riker the look telling him to take it easy on this poor guy, "Have a seat." He sits and immediately starts bouncing his knee.
"Thank you so much for allowing me to take your daughter out on this days, Mr. and Mrs. Lynch. I promise I will have her home by 8 o'clock," the boy starts rambling a million miles a minute all while eyeing Riker's gun, "or sooner if you want her home sooner. Just let me know and she will be here."
"I'm going to go let her know you're here," you walk up the stairs, hearing Riker start talking to the boy as you knock on your daughter's door, "He's here and the longer you take, the more time he's spending with daddy and the gun."
The door flies open, "Did he seriously pull out the gun?" Your daughter was annoyed you could tell, but she still looked beautiful. She was a perfect blend of you and your husband. She had a mixture of both your looks and personalities, but with a dash of her own self. She was wearing the perfect outfit. It was one that you, her, and Aunt Rydel had went out and bought the moment she came squealing through the front door that the guy she had been crushing on for weeks had finally asked her out. It wasn't anything too extravagant, but it was really nice and flattered your daughter who was turning into a beautiful young woman right before your eyes. It was a bright blue crop top with a high waisted black skirt, which she paired with black boots.
"Unfortunately, he did." You say shaking your head at Riker's crazy antics.
Your daughter lets out a frustrated grunt and heads down the stairs. You quickly follow. As the two of you approach the living room, you hear the two boys talking about the Broncos. You quickly grab your daughters arm and pull her back telling her to be quiet by placing your finger to your lips. The two of you listen to the conversation. Surprised that your husband isn't scarring the poor boy for life. They are talking about sports and music.
When you and your daughter walk in, the two stand up to greet you. Your daughter hugging her date and you giving your husband a peck on the cheek. Riker's hand slides around your waist.
"We should be going. See you guys at 10:30?" Your daughter asks raising an eyebrow as they begin to move towards the front door.
"Actually, your dad wants you home at 8." Her date says smiling at Riker reassuringly.
You nudge him with your arm and he looks down at you. "Actually make it 10:30," Riker says smiling at the two.
"Thanks, daddy! Love you guys!" Your daughter says enthusiastically as she heads out on her first date. Shutting the door behind her.
"I'm really proud of you," you say hugging Riker tightly.
"Thanks, he seemed like an okay young man."
"He reminded me of Ross a little."
"Yeah, I guess he did," Riker said agreeing with you, "That had to be one of the hardest things I've ever done. Watching our little baby grow up like that."
You smile at him and walk into the kitchen, "Only 3 more to go."
"I know! How are we going to keep doing this? I'm glad we had some boys." He chuckles sliding his arms around your waist.
"I feel old." You said turning around, looking Riker in the eyes as you wrap your arms around his neck.
"You look just as young and beautiful as when I first met you," he said smiling down at you kissing your lips gently.
"I love you."
"I love you, too."

You were so glad that you had believed in your relationship with Riker. That you hadn't let the long distance and the screaming fans separate the two of you because your love was something that you knew was everlasting. Even when he wasn't with you, you could feel the love. Your love was like the wind, you couldn't see it, but you could feel it.

(( yes, I totally stole the last part from A Walk To Remember because it's my favorite line and it fit here perfectly ))