29. We Shucked Up

'Erin's PoV:

-earlier that day-

I laid restless at one of the bunks at the med-jack hut the whole afternoon. I didn't have the motivation to move. Ben's gone, my bestfriend knew about his demise but never warned him, causing me to accidentally hit her because I couldn't control my emotions, and now Alby was risking his life out there.

At this point, nobody really cared who's doing work and who's not.

I sat up and watched Clint sorting out several bottles of medicines into the trays while Jeff was preparing another poultice for Maya. They were kind enough to let me rest as they continued their work.

"Jeff?"

"Mmm?" He spun around to face me.

"I'll give that to her." I pointed to the poultice.

"You sure? I could just give this to Maya, y'know?"

"You've been working your ass the entire day. I think it's fair enough for you to get some rest." Jeff smiled and nodded so I took it and left.

The boys outside were busy with work as usual. I found Newt, Zart and Thomas trying to cut down a trunk while Chuck was carving something.

"Newt," I called when I neared them, "Have you seen Maya?"

Newt frowned and stood up. I knew he was upset that I hit his little girlfriend but now I was trying to make up for it.

"I haven't seen her since this morning. Why? What's wrong?"

I showed him the poultice and he stopped swinging his blade. Thomas just stared cluelessly at me. I glanced at the lookout tower but she wasn't there. So I continued looking for her.

I already checked everywhere, still, Maya was nowhere. I went back to the homestead extension to check one last time.

Nope. No one in here.

As I passed by the gardens, it began to drizzle. Water droplets plummeted down like they simply cannot think of anything better to do. Everyone rushed for shelter, not wanting the flu incident to repeat.

I sat by the Homestead together with Gally, Winston, Scott, Jack and a few others, staring at the doors and waiting for the rain to stop. I observed Thomas as he kept on bothering Newt with questions. I shook my head in annoyance and hugged myself tighter, grateful that it wasn't me he decided to pester with his persistent interrogation.

"Erin." Someone touched my shoulder and I turned to who it was. "Can I tell you something?"

"Jack, is everything alright?"

"I'm so sorry. I should've told you earlier but Maya told me not to tell anyone," He stammered as he scratched the back of his head, "But I th-"

Gally noticed Jack's nervousness and interrupted. "What's going on?"

"Jack?" I glared, "Spit. It. Out."

"She went after Minho and Alby." He gabbled out in one go before covering his mouth in shock.

"She did, what?" Gally raised an eyebrow as he placed his hands on his waist. Despite the heavy pouring, I rushed towards the maze doors.

"What are you doing?" Gally called but I didn't listen. I reached the entrance, shielding my eyes from the rain and looking into the maze, hoping Maya, Minho and Alby would be back by now.

Gally was now beside me and grabbed my arm. "Hey, you're gonna get the shucking flu."

"She wouldn't interfere if there was nothing wrong. Someone needs to go after them." I turned and noticed that Winston caught up as well. He was carrying a large flat plank and positioned it over my head so I wouldn't get soaked, even if my clothes already got damp.

"That's against the rules, man." Winston replied.

"What if they're not gonna make it? Oh god, I'm not crossing out any more names."

"Just relax, Erin. They still have time." Gally reassured.

But I knew he was lying.

I wrapped my arms around Winston's waist and rested my head on his shoulders, he was still thoughtfully shielding me from the rain.

"Please be ok. Please."
____________________________________________

'Maya's PoV:

I sighed in relief as the rain finally stopped. Minho and I kept slipping on the slimy moss covered path, stumbling and rolling on the ground. We managed to carry Alby but my shoulders began to hurt at his weight. I was panting heavily as we paced faster since it was getting late. We were soaked and dirty from all the slipping and falling.

I looked at my slimy arms. "I feel so icky."

"And that's my problem, how?"

I didn't argue back because bickering with Minho at the moment was only a huge, shucking waste of energy.

"You gotta leave now," Minho demanded, "The doors will be closing soon."

"I'm not leaving you both."

"What the shuck are you waiting for? Just go!"

"Minho, is this how, how little you think of me?"

"You wanna die in here shank? Cause I don't..."

I didn't obey. There was no way I was leaving the both of them here, and returning back to the glade empty handed.

We almost reached the junction leading to the entrance when the familiar rumbling began.

"No no no no," Minho panicked and unwrapped his arm from Alby, leaving me alone to support his weight as we both dropped to the floor, "Maya you need to go now."

I cussed at him and gripped Alby's leg, starting to drag him. I clenched my teeth as I struggled pulling his heavy body. Minho gave up trying to convince me to leave and just helped me drag Alby back to the glade.

I glanced back, relieved we were almost at the entrance. But that relief was cut short as the doors were inching faster towards each other. Everyone was at the exit, calling and yelling for us to run and leave our leader behind.

"Come on guys you can do it!"

"Minho, Maya, you gotta leave him behind!" I recognized Gally's voice.

"Maya!" I turned and saw Newt screaming as he tried to escape from Zart and Frypan's grip, "Maya, please..."

Beside them was Erin, also desperately trying to break free from Winston who was holding her arm, she was screaming as well, begging for me to run.

But I didn't listen and continued dragging Alby nearer to the doors. I already knew we were not gonna make it.

But I had to try. We had to try.

Minho was yelling as we pulled Alby with all our might. He eventually wasn't giving up yet. I could make it by myself if I made a run to the doors, but I could never bring myself to leave my two friends behind.

There was no time for any second thoughts. Cause I already chose to drag myself into this mess and not abandon Minho or Alby.

My eyes clocked back at the gladers, helplessly witnessing them desperately encouraging us. My heart broke once I saw Newt gravely calling for me, and so was Erin. The poor blond boy was limping while shoving off the others who were holding him back.

This was never part of my plan. I locked eyes with Thomas. I never knew if it was possible but I used my eyes to silently taunt him; provoking and convincing him to help us. Until the last second he leapt and squeezed along the small gap between the doors and stumbled right in front of me, the doors now completely shut.