3. Not a Fan of Parties

The bonfire celebration was what I expected it to be; loud and sweaty.

Turns out, I was not a fan of the loud banging drums and cheering boys as they lit a giant bonfire and started dancing. There was probably no reason for me to act so uptight and bitter, but I was so irritated how everyone was having fun despite being imprisoned in this place. I couldn't help it.

At the end of the day, all I wanted was to relax myself but I guess tonight's agenda had different plans for me.

Before I could see myself spiraling into a fit of blues, I made my way towards Erin, tugging her arm, interrupting her chat with Ben.

"You alright?" She asked, looking around to look for what exactly was making me feel to uncomfortable.

"Oooh. There it is. I bet she's gonna cry now," Ben jeered before I could even say something, "The storm after the calm."

Erin glared at him. "Slim it!"

"Look, you wouldn't shut up about how she was so behave yesterday. I guess tonight she's gonna prove you wrong. Isn't that right, greenie?"

"I said, shush!" Erin attempted to cover his mouth but Ben dodge her with ease.

"Come on, greenie. It ain't too late to act all crazy and klunk yourself. Give us something else to make fun of you of."

"Ben, I'm serious. Cut it out!" Deciding to listen to her, Ben pantomimed zipping his mouth shut before gulping down his drink, although he still appeared to really want to tease me more until I would totally loose my cool.

After being satisfied that Ben would no longer bother us, she turned her attention back towards me. "Anyway, what's up?"

"Do I have to be here?"

"Of course. This party is held for you. It's tradition, also."

I looked around. "It's too, y'know, noisy..."

"Well, it IS a party. Of course it's gonna be shucking noisy."

"Why can't I just skip this?"

"No-can-do. Sorry," Erin had this sympathetic yet entertained look on her face, "Look around, Maya. You might think this is just some lame, stupid party, but these shanks look like they're enjoying themselves. Which isn't a common sight considering our current living situations."

Erin was right. These bastards did look happy. I was quite surprised that she was not as rowdy as the others, considering that she already lived here for a year. And the gladers were really close to her.

Since Erin seemed to be too disinterested in prolonging our conversation, I had to resort to another method of letting out my unexplainable frustrations. Grunting indefinitely, I was about to walk away when someone held my arm.

"Everything alright?" Newt asked. He smiled at me. I didn't.

I hoped people would stop asking me if I was fine or not since it was starting to get on my nerves.

"You look so angry."

"So?" I gently yanked his grip off.

"Whoa...Easy there, will  yah? I don't want any trouble." He chuckled again. I could only give him a disgruntled look, obviously not in the mood for his little jokes.

"Ugh, anyway, Frypan has something for you. Follow me." Newt led me to the kitchen. I tried to get away but Newt would not let me go, probably making sure I would try to get along with others. Or maybe he was just being pushy, just like Gally.