The Countdown

Popcorn kernels and butter heated up in microwaves in the homes across the world, and the sound of trumpets blaring accompanied a title floating onto the millions of television screens.

   “Welcome,” John Burgundy said enthusiastically, as soon as the opening credits music cut off, “to the first of HBO’s specials to help count down the days to the 2012 Sex Olympics in Sochi! For the next few days I look forward to bringing you highlights of the previous Games. Let’s start, with our reporter Matt King, who has a short video to share with you.”

   A video began to play, accompanied by dramatic music and a rather sombre looking reporter holding a microphone. “This is where it all began, the events that would eventually lead to the Sex Olympics. Here protesters took to Times Square following the death of Marie Cornwall, a teenager who committed suicide after contracting AIDS. She wrote in her suicide note ‘I wish I’d known, I wish someone had told me the risks’ feeling she couldn’t speak about it due to the shame associated with underage sex and, in those days, sex in general.

   “Molly Cornwall, the girl’s mother, a woman who thought herself approachable, was shocked and blamed society’s prudishness about the issue. She has since focused all her efforts working tirelessly to improve sex education in schools.

   “The deaths of six other young men and women across the country helped provide support for her cause, and barriers to the old ‘Pure Regime’ (as coined by Cornwall) began to fall down.”

   The video faded to black, and John Burgundy displayed a solemn expression. “That was the spark that changed the course of history, and the Sex Olympics owes much to Mrs. Cornwall. Without her efforts, the world may yet have viewed violence more acceptable than sex.”

   He brought a smile back to his face and swivelled in his chair to introduce the rest of the cast for the specials. “But the day has changed, and the world is a bit more accepting of sex. Here with us today are a few people who can give us an insight to the creation and proliferation of the Sex Olympics and the changing atmosphere around the world.”

   There were a group of people seated around a large wooden table. “Thank you, John,” the woman at the head of the table said. “I’m Ayesha Parker, and I’d like to introduce our guests.” She pointed to each one and gave a quick description. “Andrew Adams, a representative of The Church and an opposer of the Sex Olympics. Bogdan Vasilov, one of the organizers of this year’s games. Danger Maddov, gold medalist in Archery at the previous Sex Olympics in 2008. And Marcos Cruze, the army veteran responsible for the Sex, Not Violence non-profit organization. Thank you all for joining us.” They all murmured how pleased they were to be part of the show while Ayesha shuffled her notes.

   “Bogdan, I’ve been reading your bio and found out you were part of some of the earliest protests against the Pure Regime,” Ayesha pointed out.

   The Russian nodded. “I vas studying in New York at the time and to improve my Eenglish. I alvays read the newspaper in the morning from cover to cover. I took a great interest in the Cornvalls’ case. My home back in Russia vas one open with such things. It vas one of few, though. It vas a shame I couldn’t help Mrs Cornvall more. But I didn’t stop thinking about her case. A similar movement started in Russia and as soon as it did I vas there.”

   Ayesha nodded respectfully. “It must have been a tough time?”

   “Mmm,” Bogdan murmured in agreement. “Those of us who fought against purity were hounded, banned from certain jobs. For example I returned to Russia to teach, but as soon as my connection with the protests became known I was vilified and then fired. But as more people suffered from AIDS, HIV and other issues, our support grew and eventually we couldn’t go unheard, no longer could we be oppressed or shoved into society’s corner.”