Part 22 | Fireworks

Saturday is the craziest I have seen campus yet. Parents, students and professors are scattered around campus hosting an open house to all the parents that have driven up for Parent's Weekend. Students that live and participate in Greek Row are the volunteers for the event and they coordinate activities for the parents to enjoy with their students. There are tennis matches going on in the sports complex, live music has been set up in the common area and food trucks line the parking lot of the campus. Every building has its' doors open and students can show their parents their classrooms. My mom has decided to buy all of us a ridiculous amount of Pepperdine swag including T shirts, sweatshirts, stickers and a large rectangular bumper sticker that my dad didn't seem overly thrilled with, to stick on my mother's Mercedes at home. He loves me, but he doesn't necessarily feel the need to show it by putting cheap stickers all over his expensive cars.

We wander through the food trucks and each pick something different to try. While we are munching, Liam challenges my mom to a friendly tennis match down at the outside courts. My mom has always played tennis at our country club so she is a bit competitive when it comes to their "friendly game"- I know where I get my competitiveness from.

My dad and I sit in the bleachers and follow the ball ping back and forth with large ice cream cones in our hands, shaking our heads at how seriously my mom and Liam are taking the game. She gives Liam a run for his money but they both are overly winded when my mom finally wins their match.

Once the sun has set and the breeze rolls in, we decide to find a large picnic blanket to settle onto the grass. Our campus over looks the vast ocean and Pepperdine always has a spectacular fire work show on the water to conclude the days activities. We all get comfortable on the soft flannel blanket and I rest my head on Liam's shoulder. We are just about to look to the sky when I feel Liam pull himself to his feet. I move my head upwards and see Topher standing by the corner of our blanket. I quickly hop up too.

"Oh, hey dad," Liam says awkwardly and my parents instantly flick their heads over to us.

"Hi, Mr. Greysor," I say shyly and give him a small wave. My parents then quickly clamber to their feet and stick their hands out to introduce themselves.

"Oh you're Liam's dad, it's so nice to finally meet one of his parents. I'm Eleanor and this is Phil," my mom says as she shakes Topher's hand. I turn a shade of pink when I hear her take note of Topher's good looks. She has always found Liam an attractive young man so she finally understands who he got his looks from. Liam glances to me and I am mortified.

"Hi, I'm Christopher, it's nice to meet Eleanor's parents," Topher replies and my mom lets out a light laugh.

"I think you are the only person besides her grandmother to call her by her full name." I wince because I truly don't care for my full name and would prefer if no one referred to it. I quickly change topics.

"Yeah mom, Liam's dad is actually one of my professors. He teaches business here," I explain and everyone notices her eye brows furrow in confusion.

"Oh, I had no idea your dad was a professor here Liam. That makes sense as to why you and Ellie liked Malibu so much then," she says, almost offering an explanation to herself. She's wondering why I never mentioned Liam's dad being here, let alone him being my professor but I wasn't sure what Liam wanted to make public. I don't know how much history Topher wants exposed either, so I don't know what his response will be to my mom.

"Well Malibu is a great campus and it does seem like these two like the beach as well," Topher replies, completely ignoring the fact that we were unaware he was here until I was physically on campus.

"Yes, well I will say this place is beautiful. I'll be sad to leave tomorrow," My dad says and our attention snaps to the sky as the first firework goes off.

"Well I'll let you get back to the show. It was a pleasure meeting you. But Liam if I could have a quick word with you," Topher says as he motions for Liam to follow him. Liam looks to me and I shrug my shoulders. What am I going to do, tell him no? My parents wave Topher off and we settle back onto the blanket. My mom immediately leans over to me, "How did I not know Liam's dad worked here?" I wonder what I am allowed to tell her and I decide to go for the truth.

"We didn't know until my first day of class. Liam hasn't seen his dad in over ten years." My mom's eyes go wide and her eyebrows shoot up her forehead in disbelief.

"Well from what you told me his mother is a bit of a nut job, how's his dad?" She asks and once again I am conflicted on what to tell her. I can't tell her that my thoughts on Liam's dad differ day to day.

"He's nice. I think he's trying to make up for lost time with Liam though. It's been a bit of a rough ride for Liam. I think he is trying to work through some issues." My mom nods and we watch the fireworks light up the black sky. I keep glancing around looking for Liam and I don't know where they wandered off to. The fireworks start quickly popping off and I know it's the finale. When the last golden spark fades from the sky and there are only streaks of smoke left, everyone quickly starts folding up their blankets. My mom and dad glance around the field looking for Liam as we fold up our blanket and I slowly start to get a sick feeling in my stomach. I peek at my phone but only see messages from Harper.

"Well, should we stick around and wait for Liam or do you want us to walk you back to your dorm room?" My mom asks and I take one more long look around the field.

"Liam knows where to find me. We can walk back." My dad tucks the blanket under his arm and we slowly walk down the illuminated path to the dorms. I fill my mom in on pledge week and she's excited for me to go out and try. When we reach my building, I grab the blanket from my dad and I give long hugs to both of my parents. We decide to meet up for breakfast before they have to leave to the airport and I give them the name of the cafe Liam and I like. I watch them walk towards the parking lot and I glance to my phone again, but still no word from Liam. My gut is still sour and I decide to call him to check in. I watch students file into my building as I sit on the phone but Liam never picks up. I leave him a quick message telling him I'm back at my dorm. It's too cold to wait around outside, so I stubbornly make my way to my room and glance at my phone every step of the way.