Part 18 | Greek Row

My moment has arrived. I stand at the bottom of Greek Row and see the white picket fence that separates the Kappa Delta house towards the top of the hill.

At the entrance to Greek Row, I am handed a ziplock bag with "Survival Pack" written in Sharpie on the front. Inside is a travel size bottle of hairspray, gum, chapstick, five bobby pins, a pen, kleenex and a safety pin. Mischa and I clutch onto our ziplocks and stride up the hill and over to the Kappa house. There is a sea of potential frat brothers and sorority sisters navigating their way through the houses and I notice a few girls from my classes in line for Sigma Alpha.

We are in awe as we approach Kappa Delta's gorgeous two story brick building with four white columns that support a small white upstairs deck. Vines crawl down the sides of the building and there are mini palm trees at the sides of the outside veranda. The sidewalk leading up to the front door has lights running along its path and a bright spotlight illuminates the metal KAPPA DELTA letters nailed above the front door. I see the same five blondes from the informational booth handing out name tags to potential pledges. I read the prettiest girls name tag and am reminded that her name is Heather.

"So glad to see you two again," she says with her signature bright smile. I grab a name tag from her and in pretty swirly letters I write my name and stick the name tag to my shirt. Mischa and I jump in line and follow the train of other dressed up girls waiting patiently to enter the house. I am overcome with excitement as soon as I step onto the marble flooring. I immediately notice the two grand-staircases with elaborate metal banisters connect at the top of a hallway. A large round cherry wood table sits in the middle of the foyer between the two stair cases. A vibrant vase of exotic flowers adorns the empty table and almost looks out of place in the otherwise white room.

I look to the first staircase and eye the four wide rectangular frames hung at the bottom of the stairs, proudly displaying the previous members photos. Another frame displays the founding members and a smaller frame displays the sororities Creed and coat of arms.

The train of girls swerves into the swank living room and there is a punch bowl with light bites displayed in the connected dining room. None of the furniture in this room looks practical to sit on so Mischa and I grab a cup of pink punch and head into the kitchen. Everything about this house is light, white and airy. The granite counter tops are light gray and the cabinets are glossy white. The furniture is all neatly upholstered with plush white fabric and even the bathrooms are white porcelain with white marble flooring. All the doors to the girls rooms are open and it looks like it's been set up so it's two to a room. Even the bedrooms have posh furniture and wide walk-in closets. I look to Mischa as we make our way back downstairs and out to the lavish back yard.

"This can't be a party house. There is not a single stain on any of the white furniture and everything is in immaculate condition," I whisper to Mischa as we find comfy stools by the sparkling pool. There are nets of twinkle lights draped over the bushes and an illuminated gazebo takes up the small grassy area. The grass is thick and dark green which is rare in Malibu- the yard alone displays how lavish the house is. Mischa looks around to the other timid girls, all carrying punch and loitering around the yard. I notice only a handful have dared to touch the snacks.

"I know, it feels like we are in a museum because I don't dare touch a thing!" She replies while catching my eye.

"No wonder it's so expensive to live here. I think the bathrooms here are nicer than mine in Dallas," I whisper back and she nods in agreement. Both Mischa and I are used to a lavish lifestyle but this one seems unpractical. How do twenty-five girls live here and it looks this neat? I don't think it's a facade either because the girls had their closets open and each one had a neat closet system installed and every shoe and belt had it's place.