Part 20 | More Questions

Stephanie pulls herself off Liam's stoop and lightly skips down his two steps. She swings her hips as she walks over to us but she looks shaken. She's wearing a thin black cotton dress so she keeps her arms around her torso to shield herself from the cold as the breeze blows. I pull Liam backwards a couple of steps and she stops and puts her hands on her hips, "Jesus, I'm not here to hurt you."

Peering around Liam's shoulder I reply, "Then why are you here?"

She folds her arms back in front of her and I notice her light hair is much longer than the last time I saw her. It sits almost to her curvy waist.

"We gotta talk."

"About what? How did you even know where I live?" Liam snaps back and we are still a good fifteen feet away from her. The security light from the main house is still shining on us and I realize we are being too loud for how late it is.

"Colin's an open book remember? I got the info from him." She answers smugly, "Look I'm not here to start drama or trouble I just really need to talk to you about Topher, Liam."

Liam looks at me and now I'm wondering what she knows about Topher. Besides what she told us over the summer.

"What are you talking about? Why do you want to talk about him?" Liam asks.

She glances around the backyard, noticing how many dark corners surround us and then pleads, "Can we go inside, please? I don't know who could be around." I look to Liam again and we are both curious as to why she's here. She sounds nervous but she's a manipulator. She could be faking her nervousness to let our guard down and then pounce.

"Liam, please?" She asks and she keeps glancing around the yard. Liam lets out a loud exhale while rolling his eyes and takes the key from his jacket pocket. I follow behind him but I don't look at Stephanie as I pass her. We follow him up the steps and I feel her behind me as we wait for him to unlock the door. He flips the first light switch on which illuminates his neat living area. He walks into the kitchen and switches on all the lights in there as well. Stephanie takes in the space and notices the only main place to sit is his bed, but if she has any brain cells, she'll know to put her ass anywhere else. Liam notices the awkward seating arrangement and quickly pulls a stool out from his coat closet. Stephanie grabs it from him and as Liam and I plant ourselves at the end of the bed, Stephanie sits on the stool across from us. She twists her hands and Liam and I watch her fidget.

"So what is it you want to talk about?" Liam asks as he folds his arms across his chest.

Her eyes dart to me and then back to Liam, "Which one of you told Topher about me?"

Liam's head snaps back in surprise and I shake my head before saying, "What are you talking about?"

"Ryan came to me and told me Topher found him again. He wanted to know if Ryan knew about me and where to find me. I know you were looking for him this past summer Liam, and now all of a sudden you two move to town and in less than a week, Topher is looking for me. I don't see it as a coincidence." She sees me flit my eyes to Liam and quickly crosses her arms again. "You may be better at closing your mind off Ellie, but I bet if I wait long enough, I can get back in there. So why don't you save me the trouble and you the torture and just come out with it. Tell me what you two know," she snaps and her head bobs up and down with her words. I don't know what Liam wants her to know so I remain silent. She's rapidly tapping her heel against the stool and her arms remained crossed. Her eyes dart between me and Liam and her thin pink lips are pressed into a thin line. She's not budging until she gets answers and quite frankly I don't want to deal with her any longer than I have to. Liam gives me an apologetic look before breaking the silence, "Stephanie, Topher is my dad." I shoot Liam a bewildered look but he just shrugs his shoulders. I know he's only telling her so she won't stalk and torture me until she gets her answers.