Kappa Delta

Mischa does all the talking at the rest of the tables we meet with and we leave the gym on information overload. We already have our minds set on Kappa Delta, so we don't even bother checking out the last two sororities at the far end of the gym. It's the hardest sorority to get into but also the most expensive so I'm hoping that will weed out a few pledges from the get-go.

We stroll along the illuminated path back to the dorm rooms and dump the brochures we know for sure we don't want to pledge to into the recycling bin outside my door. We squeal a little more about the excitement of rush week and then peel off in different directions. My wedges have carved lines into my feet, so it is a feeling of pure bliss when I peel them off as soon as I make it into my room.

"How did the assembly about 'paying to have' friends go?" Zoe asks sarcastically as I fling my shoes into my closet. What a frivolous expense

"Ha ha very funny," I say with a joking grin. "It was very informative and if all goes as planned, you'll officially be living in a single in two weeks!" I reply back to her trying my best to make light of her sarcasm. She's wearing a grateful dead t-shirt paired with bright tie-dye shorts to sleep in and it's the most normal thing I have seen her wear since I've known her.

"Well I'll miss you, but I will also enjoy having the entire space to myself. It will be nice to hula hoop without worrying about knocking into your stuff," she says seriously. "Speaking of which, I broke one of your perfume bottles. I will pay you back to replace it." She points over to my desk and I notice the empty spot where the glass bottle used to sit. I should have taken note of the strong perfume scent when I walked in, I just thought it was lingering after I spritzed myself before I left for the meeting. I see a dark spot to the side of my desk and pieces of light pink glass are on top of the trash. I try not to be annoyed since I know it's easily replaced. I'll just feel bad telling her how much it's going to cost to replace it since I know she has no extra spending money.

I wave my hand as I lie, "It's fine, I didn't care much for the scent anyway." I know I'll just wait to buy a new one after I move into Kappa Delta. She grabs her yoga mat and tosses it into the air before it settles flat on the floor. I watch as she sits crossed-legged in the middle of the mat with her palms pressed together in front of her chest. Zoe is back to her own world so this is my cue to fill Harper in as I jump onto my bed and text her all the information I received. She's already in the middle of her rush week and she wants a bid from Kappa Delta just as badly as I do. However, her chapter has room for fifteen new girls, so her chances are greater than mine. I ask her if she's talked to Lily lately and she texts back that Lily has been overwhelmed with her classes and adjusting to her new city life. I know it's already past midnight in New York but I text Lily anyway asking her how she's been, knowing I won't get a response until tomorrow. I let Harper know that I am going to bed and quickly call and check in with Liam before I settle in for the night.

"Hey baby, how'd the blonde boob fest go?" He asks and I roll my eyes in response. I love how Harper has been the only one excited for me to rush. 

"Hey, if that were the case you would have joined me in a second!" I joke and he laughs loudly. "It went fine. It just reinforced what I already know. I want to join Kappa Delta." I hold the phone between my cheek and my shoulder as I peel myself away from my bed to rummage through my closet. I'm tired but I know it's better to have an outfit ready to go just in case I happen to miss my alarm again in the morning.

"And how much do you have to pay to be a Kappa Delta?" He questions, his tone full of sass.

"Why does everyone think sororities are just girls paying to have friends? Kappa Delta works with charities and sponsors a ton of events around campus. They are one of the largest sororities that exist and they are the main sorority that puts on the huge campus carnival for Labor Day," I tell him, but I still hear a scoff on the other end of the phone. I know he thinks this is all silly. I could list off a dozen valid reasons to join and he'd still be apprehensive. 

"Well, I hope you get in if this is what you really want. I'll know why you'll be acting like a crazy person all week next week. I'm guessing you'll stop at nothing to get in. Are you going to manipulate the votes?" Liam asks and I hadn't thought about it. I don't know how I would manipulate them if I'm not there when they vote and decide.

"To be honest, I think this is the first thing that will be out of my hands. I might get an idea if Mischa and I will get a bid beforehand," I glance at Zoe and know I shouldn't say too much. "Otherwise I have no pull on this."

"You know if you get in and Harper doesn't, she'll think you manipulated it. So for the sake of your friendship, I hope you both get accepted," Liam adds and I hadn't thought about that either. I have been so focused on me and Mischa both getting bids that I hadn't thought about what would happen if I got one and Harper didn't. I originally only looked into this house so we could do it together, but now I want to be a part of this overly competitive society. I want to be one of them.

"Well we'll cross that bridge when we get there," I say before releasing a long sigh, "But I am exhausted from the blond boob fest, so I am going to sleep. I will call you after my classes tomorrow and we can go to your place and catch up on all of our shows."

"Sounds like a plan baby girl. I love you, sweet dreams," Liam says with a kiss to the phone.

"I love you too, dream of me," I reply with a kiss back.

"I always do Ellie. Goodnight my sweet."