Part 14 | Case of the Mondays

Monday was the bitch everyone always complains about.

I woke up forty-five minutes late because I had somehow managed to turn my alarm off instead of hitting snooze. Because of that, I had no time to get ready (besides brushing my teeth) so I had to dash across campus in black yoga pants and a Burberry zip-up sweatshirt of Liam's I had found on the floor on my way out the door. I used my fingers to detangle my hair as I walked though the science building and was panting when I sat down in my hard seat three minutes after class started. In my mad dash to get to class, I realized I had forgotten my lab notebook on my desk back in my room. I had to beg Professor Jimenez to meet me during her office hours to prove I had completed the assignment when it was supposed to be due and not give me a zero on our first assignment of the year. Mischa stayed after class to vouch for me saying that we had done it together, which helped Professor Jimenez agree to meet with me. She also took note of my frazzled appearance and felt a pang of sympathy toward me, thank the lord. After staying and talking for so long after biology, I was late to my business class where the only open seat was smack in the middle in the first row. I had to climb over students to nab my seat and Topher had the audacity to tell the class that he was glad I could get out of bed and join him for class.

I prayed that Topher wouldn't try and talk to me after class but my prayers went unanswered when he called my name as I was leaving my row.

"Look Professor Greysor, I have to meet with my biology teacher so I'm kind of in a hurry," I say, my tone laced with anxiety. He is erasing the whiteboard so his back is to me when he says, "It will be quick." I know he's waiting for all the students to leave but my eyes keep darting to the overhead clock, showing me Professor Jimenez's office hours are quickly approaching. I still have to run to my dorm to grab my book and run back across campus to find her office.

When the last student finally files out, and my anxiety is at an all-time high, Topher turns and stands behind his desk.

"Has Liam mentioned anything to you about Virginia?" He asks and I want to scream with frustration. I have an appointment to make in less than twenty minutes and Topher wants to chit-chat about possible scenarios.

"Nope, Liam hasn't mentioned a word about Virginia," I rapidly reply and then purposely look at the clock again. I know Topher knows I am anxious to leave but he still studies my face before saying, "I wasn't lying when I said I could get you a deal to come with him. I know you're capable of more than you let on, so I think there would be a place for you if you wish to join us."

I shake my head, "Yeah well, thanks for that but I have no intention of leaving Malibu or school anytime soon. I actually have parents who care about my whereabouts and they wouldn't let me leave a prestigious school on a whim. Not only that, but I have no intention of working for the C.I.A. Now if we are finished I really have to go-"

Topher cuts me off with a wave of his hand, "Liam won't go without you. I know I don't know him as well as you do right now, but I do know he cares for you. He cares enough about you to stay here and play house and school with you if that's what you really want. But I also know someday he'll want more, and he'll want to know more and he'll end up resenting you for keeping him here and away from his father. Away from opportunities and away from making a real difference in the world. So remember what you are taking away from him when you're telling him you have no interest in Virginia."

"It's Interesting that you think you know Liam at all," I snap back. "That you know what is good for him."

"I know you're allowing him to frolic around Malibu with no real direction," Topher snides back. I shouldn't be surprised anymore that Topher is so manipulative. He starts the conversation out like he wants to be civil and friendly and ends it with threats and vindictiveness. I shake my head and glance at the floor for a moment. I then raise my head and look at him square in his piercing blue eyes.

"I really don't know why you are trying to make me an enemy, Topher, when I could be your biggest ally. You were right when you said you don't know Liam like I do. And even though you may or may not have been looking for him for ten years doesn't change the fact that you weren't there for him. You don't know the shit he's gone through and the hell his mother has put him through. That woman has manipulated him his entire life and I'm not going to send Liam off so he can turn around and be manipulated by you and a bunch of strangers. If you don't like that Liam isn't in school right now and just frolicking around Malibu, maybe you should have been in the discussions of what he wanted to do after high school. But you weren't. Liam decided to take a gap year. He made that choice."

"And we'll see if he chooses Virginia," Topher threatens and I scoff. Like he has any idea what is best for Liam. He has no idea how hard Liam fought both Lisa and me about not going to school. He has no idea how headstrong his son is. 

"Listen, Mr. Greysor. There is a lot you have to learn about Liam so let me start by telling you that threatening me is the wrong way to get to him. I'm the only one that truly gives a shit about him and his wellbeing. I have been by his side since the day we met. I helped him get through senior year and get the hell out of Lisa's house. I am his confidant, best friend, and girlfriend. So getting on my bad side is the worst thing you can do." I don't give him the chance to respond as I stride out the door. He wouldn't be dumb enough to command me to stay still so I race down the steps and through campus to get back to my dorm to grab my lab notebook. Even though I am away from Topher, his words still resonate with me and it forces me into a shittier mood.

I don't want to be trapped between Topher and Liam like I felt with Lisa. His mother was always playing me against her and I don't want to feel like I am the bad guy with his dad. I also cannot believe I just spoke to my boyfriend's father like that, I just can't be timid. He can read my thoughts anyway so why not just be honest? 

I let out an annoyed sigh as I shove my shoulder against the glass door to my dorm room and know I need to shake off Topher. I need to focus on not failing biology and so far, I am not off to a great start.