{Four}

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song----------------------}

{Four}

How the hell did I end up here?

As Tyler walks out toward me with a tray of food and a grin on his face I suddenly remember. How yeah, he asked to take me to lunch as an apology for bumping into me. So now I’m sitting in a red hard booth seat at the local DQ sitting across from possibly the most adorable man I’ve ever seen.

“Here, you are my lady.” He says with a bow, putting the tray on the table.

I flutter my eyelashes, playing along, “Oh mighty sir, how you flatter me with your offering of food.”

He chuckles and shakes his head. The sun has peeked out now and it’s pretty nice out now so I can see him much better in the natural light through the window than I could in the harsh florescent. His hair is more of a dark brown and looks soft as silk. My hand is twitching to touch it but instead I’m sitting on them trying to kill the urge. Man, oh man, am I in trouble.

“So, Jane…”

“Yes?”

“I haven’t seen you around here before.”

I quirk an eyebrow, “Why, Mr. Tyler are you hitting on me?”

He smirks and leans back in his chair, “Perhaps but then again I just could just being polite in the face of my earlier bad behavior.”

“True.” I admit with a nod and a bite of a fry. “As you can see I’m recovering from a bit of an accident so I’m staying with my brother for the time being.”

His brows furrow in concern, “What kind of accident?”

“Car accident followed by an animal attack. I swear some people have all the luck.”

He lets out a low whistle, “Damn girl and to think I was concerned you were easy to break. Hence my repeat apologies.”

“Break?” I scoff, “Hardly besides who says I’ve forgive you?”

“I did buy you lunch.” He points out.

I nod, “You did but that does not a forgiving person make. For all I know you’re just buttering me up so you can kill me in the woods later.”

“If I was it would be foolish of me to tell you.”

I shrug, “probably.”

He chuckles and shoves a fry into his mouth while I shove a few popcorn shrimp into my mouth. I wonder if he would think I was weird if I said I was craving ice cream. Mint Oreo sounds really good right now.

“So,” Tyler says, getting my attention again, “Your friend on the phone.”

“Savannah.” I supply.

“Yeah, Savannah. Is she always so…?”

“Loud?”

He chuckles and nods, “Sure, we’ll go with that.”

I sigh, “We’ve been friends for a long time. Once upon a time, she was this shy little blonde with coke-bottle glasses and braces. Then puberty hit and over the summer she became this confident little loud mouth. Of course she was always like that with me. Sometimes I fear I’ve created a monster. And I’m rambling.”