Prologue +

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Prologue:

The smell of blood is rancid as he steps into the room where his family’s bodies are kept. He is only a small boy; only having shifted once yet he feels this is his fault. He knows this is his fault. He can see no other explanation. He was there; he should have been able to help them, he reasons.

On three medical slabs lay his parents and his older brother, Jeremiah. All are still in their wolf forms, all the same dark chocolate color but is wet and slick from all the blood painting their fur. Holding his hand is his older sister, Nora. Tears fall from her brown eyes and down her cheeks as she looks at what’s left of their family.

“How?” she sobs to the pack doctor.

The kind middle-aged doctor who has patched up a few of the young boy’s falls and mishaps over the years smiles at him sadly before answering, "Rogues.”

Nora shakes her head, “That’s not possible Mom, Dad and Jerry were the pack’s best fighters, they couldn’t have been…it’s not possible!”

“I’m so sorry Nora.” The doctor says, pity heavy in his tone.

Nora shakes her head, “No! They can’t be dead!”

The doctor hugs Nora to him as she lets go of her younger brother’s hand. The boy. No older then ten doesn’t cry, he doesn’t talk, he doesn’t move, he only stares at his dead parents and sibling with blank brown eyes. He should have helped them, he thinks, Dad said he was a real wolf now, having shifted for the first time the month before, he should have been able to help.

Slowly he walks towards his Mom’s wolf and pets a hand through her fur. In his head he promises he’ll grow up to be a strong wolf, one that other wolves fear so no one will ever be hurt again. It’s a child’s promise but it’s a promise that will be engrained his mind.

Suddenly his mom’s eyes open a bright yellow as a snarl rips through her lips.

“Run!”

Tyler sits up in bed covered in sweat and panting.

Shit, he’s had another nightmare. The same one he’s had for the past eleven years. During the day he does his job as a freelance enforcer, strong, capable and feared. At night he’s reduced to nothing more then a sniveling baby, he thinks with a grunt. Collapsing back into his bed he stares at the ceiling.

He really needs to sleep.

He’s got shit to do in the morning.

Tyler closes his eyes and does what he does every night to calm himself down. Tyler thinks about his mate. What will she be like? Will be she human? Wolf? Fuck, hopefully not a vamp, he doesn’t know how much longer he can hang around these bloodsuckers for. No, she’ll be perfect.

She is, after all, made for him.

And he is made for her.

Tyler closes his eyes and drifts into a more peaceful sleep.

God, he can’t wait to find her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HE'S BACK! So this is the prologue to Tyler's story :} If you haven't read it's sort of prequel, 'The Sweetest Kill' it's on my profile and is about Vampires. So, Loving it so far? 

COMMENT, VOTE AND FOLLOW :}