Fresh Start

Everyone Has Secrets

Prologue

My breath was coming in short pants; I was finding it hard to breathe. My bare legs and arms had bruises and bloody bite marks all along them.

 I couldn't even feel the pain anymore. I stumbled over branches and tree stumps feeling the soft mud seep between my toes.

I had to keep running, not for my sake but for the sake of others. I could hear the heavy footsteps and growling behind me crashing through the woods, they were careless but why wouldn't they be? 

They were powerful, scary and crazy not something I wanted to mess with. 

I could see the rays of light a few hundred metres ahead of me, I was so close! Just keep running, just keep running.

Despite the fatal danger I was in I couldn't help but let a small giggle out, probably due to the adrenaline pumping through my veins. I was going to make it!

I spoke too soon.

No sooner had I thought those words a hard muscular arm encircled my waist. Please no, don't let this happen to me. 

Tears streamed down my face as I watched the place I called home disappear further into the distance.

Gut wrenching sobs wracked my body. I wouldn't ever see my friends again, the people made me feel like I had a family again and most importantly I would never see him again.

His angelic face, his breathtaking smile; my heart broke with every step my kid-napper took.

Chapter One

The smell of sweet flowers filled my senses; the grass underneath my fingers calmed me. This was my favourite place, nothing could harm me here; but this place couldn't be real could it? 

I watched the meadow burn when I was only fourteen years old; it was a place of my greatest and some of my most hated memories.

"Scarlett, Scarlett, we're over here!" I would know that voice anywhere, I turned around with a grin covering my face that quickly disappeared. 

"Mum I can't see you where are you?" I screamed in an agonized voice. 

"She can't here you no more. No one can hear you", a husky voice sneered at me from under a dark alcove of the forest.

"Who are you? Show yourself" I started making my way over to the source of the voice.

 "Tut, tut too many questions, too little time. I think it's time for you to wake up Scarlett, you'll be seeing me again soon".

**************************************************

Screaming and covered in sweat I threw off my drenched sheets. I calmed my breathing down and sleepily stumbled my way into the shower. 

The hot water and the familiar scent of musk and vanilla surrounded me, the muscles in my body relaxed and I let out a sigh of relief.

Even though I had that dream every night it never ceased to scare me. In general I was a tough person nothing really affected me 

But this dream, this dream had aspects from my past; something I really didn't want catching up with me.

 I turned the water off and wrapped a white, fluffy towel around my body. I had dreaded this day for a month now, the day that I would have to go to a new high school. 

This was my last chance at a shot of a decent education, being expelled from 5 schools in the past years isn't really the way to go.

It wasn't my fault that I had anger problems, I was just very temperamental. I grabbed random clothes and slipped them on. 

It wasn't that I didn't like school or that it intimidated me I just hated how fake and trivial everything was.

I used to have friends up to when I was 14 and then after that it went all downhill, I liked some people but I guess I just wasn't that approachable.

Well I had a few friends but not people that are friendly, people you would never think to take home.

I should probably introduce myself. My name is Scarlett, Scar for short; no last name. I'm 16 years old and have lived by myself since I was 14.

 I ran away and lived on the streets of Manhattan building a reputation for myself until someone named Maxxie introduced himself to me.

He had seen me fight and even though I had a lot of work to do he was willing to train me. I reluctantly accepted. 

So here I am 2 years later in a small house on the outskirts of Kansas City, Missouri and to be truthful I loved it here.

 It was surrounded by forest and it seemed so serene and peaceful and then I can drive 20 minutes and I'm in a large city.

I have long ebony hair, with a tinge of purple to it when it's in the sun light. I'm 5'11'' which can be really annoying at times. 

I would say that I had a good body due to the fact that I exercise around 2-3 hours a day. I don't flaunt it though- I hate any kind of that attention. 

If being freakishly tall and having weird hair wasn't enough, I also have bright purple eyes. And no they aren't contacts. 

I swiped my keys of the counter and made my way outside to the car. That's another thing, I love cars. I'm really proud of my black El Camino and am constantly enhancing it. 

Just as I was about to pull out of the drive-way I get a text from Maxxie 'Good luck kiddo. I'll still expect to see you at practice, 5pm exactly'  He knows I hate being called Kiddo. 

I revved the engine and relished in the purr of the engine beneath me.