Why Can't You Leave Me Alone

Chapter Twelve 

He gave me his look. The look that said everything. That he knew what you were thinking and what your next move was. He was always one step ahead. 

That's why I had been so drawn to him in the first place, he was a breath of fresh air and he made me feel alive. My life wasn't boring when he was with me and I started falling for him. 

I should have run. It would have saved me so much pain and maybe I could let people in easier. 

"I came back looking for you, but you were long gone. It took me months and months to even get a lead." His eyes hardened and silver glints sparked in his eyes. 

That had always freaked people out, heck it even unnerved me. It was the only way you knew he was angry and then the next thing you knew it was like hell had unleashed all its fury. 

I spent many hours in police rooms being a witness to his where-bouts when he seriously injured people or in hospital beds hoping every day that he would get better when the fights didn't go his way.

The latter didn't happen often. But it hurt none the less. He made me care and in a way I hated him for that.

Because when you care for someone as much as I cared for Jace you are bound to get your heart broken. 

I was speechless; he was getting mad at me? How dare he! He left me not the other way round. I had to leave because They were after me and the one person I thought I could rely on had left me to fend for myself. 

For the first time in three years I looked and I mean really looked at the boy I had loved. He wasn't a boy anymore, he had become a man and radiated power and force fullness. 

His features were the same but had lost the childhood roundness and become more firm and prominent. He was gorgeous but he wasn't the person I knew a long time ago. 

When he left, I left. I was on the run and I was alone and I was a scared lost child. It hardened me, living on the streets for a few months but I got over Jace. 

I moved on and seeing him like this I realized that I would never love him again. 

He had changed and so had I. He was practically a stranger. 

Even then I knew it was wrong, I couldn't help but feel slightly happy that I could see him again and that he was looking for me. 

I felt like someone had thrown a bucket of cold water over my head. I was a deer in headlights. Why come now? After all these years. 

There was only one explanation. He had joined Them that glint in his eyes wasn't because he was mad that I had 'left' him. No, it was because he was here to take me to Them. At all costs.

There was no way that I was going to let him take me. All happiness from seeing him left me and all I felt was hatred. 

I was going to make him pay. Make him pay for the heartache he caused. And the sense of betrayal even now that still went through my heart. 

"Come with me Scar. I've missed you so much." his tone turned sultry and my knees went weak. He was trying to seduce me, I would have laughed if I wasn't in such a dangerous position. 

I changed my expression, hoping I looked shy and made myself blush. Yes I was an incredible actor when I wanted to be. It helped when you were confronted by crazy people. 

"I've missed you too. I'll just go to the bathroom and then I'm all yours". His grin that I once loved wasn't kind as I had thought; it was sadistic. 

"Sure sweetie I'll be waiting right here." As soon as my back was turned I nearly gagged. It repulsed me the look he gave me. 

It was look of lust and he was pretty much raping me with his eyes. I knew for a fact that he wanted to make a detour to his bedroom before he took me to Them. 

*******************************

"Stop! Stop or I'll shoot". Yeah like that was going to stop me. Turns out that it wasn't just Jace coming to collect me but he had a few henchmen with him also. 

After shimmying out of the small dirty window one of the guys had seen me and alerted the others that I was trying to escape. Thanks for that one. 

I saw my car in the distance and thanked the high heavens that I hadn't parked a few streets away like I was going to do earlier in the afternoon. 

Bullets whizzed by me and I smirked. These guys were amateurs they probably couldn't get a good shot if I stood stock still. I just hoped that Jace didn't have a gun otherwise I was as good as dead. 

It seemed today apart from my unwanted reunion that luck was on my side. I was in my car safe and sound and I couldn't resist sensing Jace the smug look on my face while I drove by. 

There was no point of shooting my car. For this round they had lost. 

He screamed after me “Don’t think you’re safe Scarlett. You’re never safe”.

******************************

I thought I was okay. The drive home I was calm and it seemed that the encounter hadn't even happened. It was like the auto pilot button in me had been switched on.

It wasn't until I dropped my keys four times and it took 5 minutes to open the door, my hands were shaking so much that I noticed something was wrong. 

I can't really remember how I ended up in my bed. Heck I can't remember how I got inside. 

All I remember all night long was heart-broken screams and cries. The person sounded like they were being tortured and I hoped for their sake their pain ended soon. 

It was a few hours before I realised that the cries were my own. Yet they didn't stop. 

But God I wish they would. 

***************************