Rush

You were floating, not high, but more like a calm hover over the world. You were mainly surrounded by darkness. The smooth shadows rubbed themselves against your arms and legs. Just as you thought you would stay in this state for eternity blue streams of light shot throught the darkness. You were now surrounded by a blue essense, taking you up higher and higher. Then you heard a snap.

"(y/n) wake up!"

You jolted upright, covered in a cold sweat. Your fingers gripped the sheets you were sitting on top off. You must've fallen asleep before even bothering to tuck yourself in. Turning your head, you saw Cassandra standing next to you. She had a cart of cleaning supplies to her right and a basket of clothes to her right. It had been a few weeks since you nearly died for the second time and things were finally going back to semi normal.

"Finally you're up sleepyhead. I have been trying to wake your up all morning, but you wouldn't budge."

"Sorry.  . .I just woke up with the weirdest dream. I-"

"-As much as I would rather listen to storied than clean, we need to get ready. Apparently Rapunzel and the King invited some guests over for the weekend and we only have two days to prepare everything for their stay."

"Ugh". You have only been here for four months but you knew how chaotic it can get in the castle whenever guests came to stay.

After an extremely quick bath and throwing on an old dress you hurried to do the laundry first. Eugene must have spilled mustard on his shirt again because there was a musty yellow stain by his collar. Rapunzel's dresses had some grass stains on them as well but you've developed a method for removing those.

While the clothes he drying you now had to start on the heavy cleaning,  yours and Cassandra least favorite chore. Maybe that's why she made you do them. You looked to a list of things to clean that Cass gave you and read what you had to clean first. The picture frames. You looked up at the monstrous wall of portraits that led to height of the chandelier. Great. You were going to need a larger for this.

You looked around for one of the guards to help you take the ladder out and once they did they silently walked back to your positions. You decided to work from the bottom up and made your way slowly up the ladder.  You finally made it to the top of the ladder and pulled out a rag from the pocket of your dress. As you gripped the ladder with one hand, you reached out with the rag with another. Just as you touched the tip of the highest frame you heard a crack.

"AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!"

The step you were balanced on gave in and you slid a few get down the ladder. You managed to grab onto another part of the ladder and hang off it. You though you were safe until you felt yourself tilted backwards. You sceamed again and closed your eyes, waiting for the impact, but it never came. You looked down to see that the ground was still a ways down. Looking up you saw the tip of the ladder leaning against the wall of windows. In hindsight, it should've been obvious that the height of the ladder was longer than the width of the hall but this was not the time for math. You were trying to figure out how to get down without getting seriously injured.

Noone came the first time you yelled so you thought you just needed to scream louder. But nobody came. The guards must be on break. Suddenly you heard some footsteps coming down the hall and silently thanked God. You turned your head and saw Eugene gorging himself on cookies which you assumed he stole when the royal chef wasn't looking. He noticed the discarded cleaning supplies on the floor and grinned.

"OHO!! Cass is going to be in so much trouble!" You were pissed. Really? That's what he notices?

You continued forward, presumeably to rat on her to the King until he saw the lopsided ladder. His eyes trailed up until he saw you clutching the edge of theadded for dear life.

"Woah kid, what happened!"

"I'll be happy to tell you once you help me get down from here!"

Eugene surveyed the scene looking for a way to get you down but he realized he didn't have many options so he walked under the ladder where you were hanging and held his arms out. You thought this was a stupid idea.

"Are you crazy! I'll crush you."

"(y/n), if I can carry Rapunzel and her one hundred foot train of hair, I think I can catch you".

Okay then, you thought, on the count of three.

"One"

"Two"

"Three!"

You let go and was actually suprised that Eugene was able to catch you. He set you down and ruffled your hair.

"See, what's I tell ya? Piece of cake."

"Oh there you are Eugene". You saw Rapunzel gliding down the hall in her usually bubbly attitude. Her usual dress was being cleaned so she wore a silk ,mint green dress with embroidered purple flowers across the them. Cassandra followed close behind.

"I have been looking everywhere for you." She steps in a puddle of cleaning water and both she and Cass look down.

"Woah what happened here?"

"I was trying to clean thw frames but the ladder broke and I nearly plummeted t0 my death. Otherwise, nothing much."

After hearing our sentence Rapunzel rushed over to you in worry.  "Oh my gosh are you okay!?" She checked you for injuries. When she found out you had no new ones she calmed down.

"It's fine, Eugene caught me before I could get hurt." Rapunzel walked you too Eugene and kissed his cheek.

"Awwwww, Our hero". Eugene now radiated a proud expression. Then she turned back to you

"Okay, I think you deserve a break after that fiasco." You school your head.

"Nuh uh, I still have a lot of work to catch up on for the visitor coming in two days. Wernt you supposed to get your portrait done by some famous artist. I heard that he is very particular with his living arrangements." In truth you didn' give a damn on whether that snobs room was up to his standards. You just felt embarrassed for nearly injuring yourself again when the King told you to take it easy.

"Oh no. He's not coming for another month. The visitor is actually coming today. but I don't think they'll be bothered by a little dust."

"Woah woah woah woah woah!" Cassandra jumped in front of Rapunzel. "I have scrubbed every bit of this castle to the West wing and all for nothing? Who is this mystery guess."

Rapunzel looked away sheepishly. "Well, if you must know. I finally talked to my dad about the rocks and he agreed to let me invite . . . . Quit and Varian to talk about  them. Varian was a little nervous to come with his dad but . . . I sorta bribed him by telling him that you would hang out with him."

Cassandras face hung open with a look of horror in your eyes. "You did not just assign me to babysit the destructive alcemist!"

"I kind of sort of did . . ." she looked around thinking of something to say that'll back up her case. Her eyes landed in you. "But hey don't worry! You'll have (y/n) to help you entertain him as well!"

"What?"

Rapunzel lightly elbowed your side. "Right (y/n)? Wouldn't it be nice to spend the whole day with the genius Varian?"

Your face began to flush at the mention of his name but you didn't understand why. Your fingers pressed against your lips in thought.

"Uh, yeah sure."

*Sorry I updated late. I had a final paper to finish for my honors English class. More Varian tomorrow!! Goodnight-~*

- Mini_Terror